Towing an Airstream

Hi guys i need to know if/where i can get a class 3 or 4 hitch for an 87 turbo limited to pull an airstream with. the tongue weight is no more than 740lbs. (try not to sidetrack on weather or not the car's drivetrain can do it I know what can and can't pull one of these please). I found a class 3 but it maxes at like 400-500 lbs which isn't enough. However any info or storys about towing will help TY.

You most likely wont find a 700 lb tongue weight for the Regal. The reason for the limitation would be the frame. A bolt on hitch can have a tongue weight over 700 lbs on small trucks because of the frame not the bolts. Also the suspension and how far it will lower the car in back.
You will need a custom hitch installed so check the yellow pages.

I had a custom class 3 hitch installed on my Dodge Magnum 05,(welded) and rented a U-Haul Trailer to drive about 3000 miles to pick up a GN about a year ago. The Trailer was very heavy and I had to tell U-Haul I was towing a Honda because of the weight. The Trailer had mechanical brakes that deployed when you slow down.

The Trailer and GN weighed in excess of 6000 lbs vs the Magnums 4000 lbs. The Magnum really sat low when loaded and should have had overload springs to keep the rear higher and prevent the headlights from pointing above the road. The Magnum pulled the GN pretty well but would not go into the top gear much of the way unless completely level and would not utilize the fuel saving, run on 4 cylinders, because of the load.

I still averaged 16 mpg with the Hemi.

If the brakes ever failed I would have been in deep trouble and like others have said the load will keep you in boost most of the time.

I hope this guy has a spare trans / converter / headers and wiring harness :D

I Think he needs to throw on some ET streets to add to the fun factor.

Not to get off topic, but it's snowing like Hell down here in SC.........was wondering what I would need to do to mount a PLOW to the front of my GN? :biggrin:

Hey Audie, don't forget to get the snow chains when you purchase your plow, They should make them to fit most popular DR sizes:eek::D

Hey TurboMonte 2...looks like your lab ate Audie1's cat. It's OK...it was an ugly cat anyway....:rolleyes:
:biggrin:

I'll have you know that my "KAT" is 10' tall when he's on his side of the sliding glass door!..................He also has a taste for "chicken", so watch it Bub! :biggrin:

Hey TurboMonte. Just for you what I did was buy an airstream Panamerica and 2 harleys to go in the back. next I bought a class one hitch to hook it to my regal with (without airbags or load leveling of course and I will keep my wrinkle walls on). Then I filled up all fluid tanks and put the harleys in the back. And what I'm currently doing at the moment is advancing my timing to well over 27 degrees with 35lbs of boost with a 16:1 air/fuel ratio to get my EGTs into afterburner piston melting territory. But i have cometics just to ensure I wont have any fusable links so i can **** my rods into orbit at will. Now I am going to do some internet research to find out which route you take to work so I can pace you with my rig weighing in at a conservative 14,500lbs all together and let the darwin awards ensue. remember I know what i can tow right. (LoL). oh and yea ill cage mount my camera to see if i can go viral in less than an hour. Can front bumpers support a snowplow on a gbody? or will it block too much of my intercooler? A Vplow would be badass like mad max style.

Haha i hope this thread switches on a lightbulb in someone's head and from this we get to see the first NHRA Grand National tractor puller. Thatd be awesome. 4 3.8l turbo engines and an elongated GN body at WOT going for that 300ft mark. or just go for the longest GN train for the darwin award like a GN pulling an airstream, hitched to a trailer with two Harleys, hitched to a trailer pulling a boat, hitched to a trailer pulling four quads, hitched to a trailor with another gn, hitched to a trailor with lawmowing equipment, hitched to a trailer and well it goes on from there. :biggrin:

I'll have you know that my "KAT" is 10' tall when he's on his side of the sliding glass door!..................He also has a taste for "chicken", so watch it Bub! :biggrin:

I'll stroke his fur the wrong way.:D

...and I've heard that cat tastes like Chicken....:biggrin:

Cook!..........Where's my Hasenpfeffer?

YouTube - Shish-Ka Bugs

3:50 :D

Not enuf "poor widdle wabbit" left to even make wabbit-flavored broth--let alone Hassenpfeffer/Wabbit stew...These remains could only make hair-stew...not hare-stew...:eek:

Thoughts lingered awhile to determine if the remains should be "stuffed"--oh nevermind...

Meanwhile Lab Rehab is on-going...:D

pointlessthread.jpg

Haha this post was pointless about 2 posts in. He had a question and got a truthful answer. Would make a good Turbo Lounge post tho.

Ha-ha Kid--looks like you're now bucking to be a Forum Moderator...:rolleyes:
(Most of us also have a keen sense for the obvious)...:cool:
TurboBuRick--better watch out for your Mod'r position...:)

It would also be a good way to test your rear frame to see how much corrosion there is after 23+ years
David
87GN