Touch up stock GN wheels

augie1010

has anyone had any success touching up the black paint on stock gn wheels. Is the paint a semi gloss,flat or gloss? Mine look a little less than gloss, but not flat. anything out there that matches the original paint.

Thanks
Dave

I used SEM black trim paint

I bought this paint ( shaker can) for repainting the black out trim on my GN.
I sprayed some into the lid of the can and using a artists brush, touched up the black on the rims.
For the centers, I masked everything else out and sprayed them directly.
I hope this is of help to you.
Thanks
Jim

I believe I used a semi gloss black on my wheels. I taped them up and trimmed them all so the Chrome was totally covered and sprayed the center and holes at the same time. I have gotten quite a few compliments on how they came out. I just rattle can'd them too, just take your time getting them ready to spray and they should look quite nice when finished!

Stock wheels

When I bought my 87 GN the previous owner removed the black from the wheels. At first I hated the look,but as time goes by,(11 years) I kind of like them now.(I hate to rush on things) LOL. Mark.

When I bought my 87 GN the previous owner removed the black from the wheels. At first I hated the look,but as time goes by,(11 years) I kind of like them now.(I hate to rush on things) LOL. Mark.

Pics?

Hi guys: Thanks for the info, I think I will try the sem 39143 on them, Amazon sells it (what don't they sell??).
Thanks again
Dave

VHT Epoxy semi gloss or satin in the can looks good also. Got it at Advance Auto.

Wheels

To berserker6, I will post pics if I can get my son off the computer long enough (minecraft game) to load and post pics. Mark.

Hey guys. I was looking at the wheels I am going to try to touch up, and wondered is there an exact cut off for the black paint as it comes off the center of the wheel where the stud holes and the top of the wheel. I have five wheels, and none of them have a distinct line where the paint ends. The black just seems to fade into the chrome. Sounds more confusing the more I write.
I'm out
Thanks
Dave

Dave,
there is a depression where the chrome kind of stops and the painted area begins.
I used this as a template and rather than spraying, I used an artists brush on those areas.
Thanks
Jim

Thanks Jim: i see what you mean, there is an indentation all around the wheel. i guess the idea is to kinda fade the black paint into the chrome rather than making a sharp line between paint and chrome. I am cleaning up the stock wheels for the interim, as I really want to put a set of GTA/GNX style wheels on the car. Seveal years ago I had a set of American 15x7 gnx clones on the car, then I went to racing the car with long studs and weld racing wheels, slicks, frontrunners, etc. (still on the car). I sold the American wheels (what a dope!) now I am looking for a set of 16x8 wheels, but there is not much up here in new england. I know I can buy new ones from Kirban and classic, but things are tight(i'm retired) and I would like to not brake the bank for these wheels. Well time to touch up these stockers.

thanks
Dave..snowed in again

wish i woulda read this before i turned the kid loose with the scothbrite and the flat black engine enamel . theres never enough time to do it right , but theres always enough time to do it over . oh well , he's young he'll get over it . on one of the rims , it looks like the valve stem is gona start leaking air due to the rust where it goes down into rim . is there anywhere out there to get this fixed ? maybe welded . then rechromed ?

wheel paint

Hi; You could try installing a steel valve stem, it uses a rubber gasket seal on both sides of the wheel. I used them on an NHRA class car for years. I installed them with a little black rtv on the rubber seals just to be sure they did not leak. I had a couple of these valve stems hanging around and installed them in a pair of my stock steel GN wheels and they worked fine. Might be worth a try.

Dave

I sprayed mine but dint mask anything I just cleaned up the over spray right away with carb cleaner and a washcloth.

I used a rattle can of semi gloss brake caliper paint. I used electrical paint to get the radius in the center of the wheels. Masking tape for the spokes and trimmed it all up with a sharp knife. It took some time and a lot of patience but 2 years later the paint is still holding up.
11d640b12fd0e890a8d54a8078a4af34.jpg
74603391f398748ddaba8ce22af88895.jpg
adb24f00a8432e2869ad4021b82fb4f1.jpg
f559f0ae8e444050326435fcf2001c1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheels

To berserker6, I will post pics if I can get my son off the computer long enough (minecraft game) to load and post pics. Mark.
Thanks for offering to share pictures of your wheels, Mark. I'm curious to see if they can provide any insight into how to touch up the black paint on stock GN wheels. Looking forward to seeing your post!"

Thanks for offering to share pictures of your wheels, Mark. I'm curious to see if they can provide any insight into how to touch up the black paint on stock GN wheels. Looking forward to seeing your post!"
This thread hasn’t been posted on in 9 years & the person you’re retro hasn’t been on in almost 10 years!

Could always start your own.