Total timing used for 1st,2nd,3rd,4th

Not sure if this has been posted before.

Just wondering about the total timing used for each gear.

I know there are a lot of variables,but from what I read here ,it seems most guys pull timing out only when going into 3rd gear or higher?

Guys w/there Syclones & Typhoons do not seem to pull out timing in the taller gears.

How many degrees do you guys pull out on a typicle street GN running pump gas & methanol inj?
Also the typical total timing in each gear.Say running 20-25 psi boost.

Thanks.:cool:

Too general of a question to answer. Timing depends on mods, weight of vehicle, ect. Too many variables.

Timing

Depends on what Grams per sec your MAF is reading .. Also depends on what chip you have burned for your combo.

I see there are many variables as I stated.

Just in general,do most guys take out a few degrees in the top gears?

Anyone can say what they run for total timing here & how much they pull out in top gears.

Or do most guys run the same timing all the way through a 1/4 mile run?

Thanks

At the track I run 23* in low gears and 21* in higher gears...that's with alky. On the steet I run 21*/18* just to be safe for every day driving. This is with 23-24lbs boost.

At the track I run 23* in low gears and 21* in higher gears...that's with alky. On the steet I run 21*/18* just to be safe for every day driving. This is with 23-24lbs boost.

Thank you.
That's all I am really looking for.:cool:

I am just curious why it seems the Syclone guys do not pull timing out in the taller gears.

The stock chip leaves the timing the same and pulls out a little boost in 3rd and a little more in 4th, going from about 15 to 13-14 to 12 psi in 4th. Lots of guys do away with the stock boost controller setup and/or go to an external wastegate, so the chipmakers started leaving the boost settings the same and pulling 2-3 deg of timing in 3rd/4th instead. 93 octane pump gas no alky chips these days use about 20 degrees, and all out race chips maybe 23-25 degrees as a rough starting point. No idea on the Syclones.

Lighter? What converter? Chevys use 5 head bolts per cylinder..less chance of blowing a head gasket :)

Truck weighs 3600 LBS,stock L/U 2100 stall converter.

ijames,
Thanks. good info!

Yeh ,5 bolts per cyl helps,dont see a lot of blown heads gaskets on Sy/Ty's as compared to the Buick it seems.

Pistons letting go is the main problem when detonating w/Sy/Ty's.