Top speed of police cruisers?

GreatestBuick

Does anyone know what type of engines they put in those police Impalas or Crown Vic? What the acceleration is (0-60) and top speed.

Attachments

• car.gif
    car.gif
    24.8 KB · Views: 628
The engines are stock on your run of the mill cruiser but they have the speed governer taken off. I would estimate top speed at ~140-160ish? Don't quote me though.

As heavy and un-aerodynamic as they are, simple math would put it at maybe 140 top speed, but I bet after about 115 or so it gets a little slow on the acceleration. 0-60, I dunno, maybe 7 or 8 seconds? Maybe faster in civilian trim, no light bar, racks, cage, etc.

Here is the breakdown

02 CVIC 130 MPH
03 CVIC 120 MPH:(
04 CVIC 120 MPH:(

At 120 MPH the rev limiter kicks in and it is flat, we have had complaints like shimmy at120 MPH.We have the State Police contract. Somebody has to test drive them on the Turnpike:D :D

The problem is you cannot beat the radio. :( :eek:

Well let me say it is hard to:D

Humm.. for the suck ass heavy cars they are slow. However I work right next to I-795 and there is a silver svt lightning and a blue 02 z28 I have seen pulling over other cars, lights in the rear windows/grill area. Thats a nasty trick and recent around here since they just put up the new police station. I just got a warning for 82mph pulled over by a red ext cab F150 not sure where they got all these random unmarked cars. But if you don't drive like a jackass you need not worry.

ROTFLMAO. With lite bars??? what r u nuts?? Id say NO MORE then 120 tops.. maybe less..

Originally posted by GNflyby
The engines are stock on your run of the mill cruiser but they have the speed governer taken off. I would estimate top speed at ~140-160ish? Don't quote me though.

Crown Vics are pretty slow, 0-60 is about 8.5-9 seconds, and top speed is around 130-135 and it takes a while to get there as well.

I personally saw 128 on the radar unit of an '04 crown vic, 300 miles old - with light bar. It seemed to be pretty much out of breath at that point. Guess there's nothing like "breaking it in the way you're gonna run it"!

Originally posted by TurboIndian
slower than my Buicks, that's all that matters!!:D

Your buick might be fast, but I doubt it's faster than 186,000 miles per second (speed of radio wave propagation).
You'll never outrun the radio ;)

Originally posted by TurboDave
Your buick might be fast, but I doubt it's faster than 186,000 miles per second (speed of radio wave propagation).
I have to disagree with that, when I was youg dumb and full of cu*, we used to do but that was also 20 years ago, in a small town.

I really dont think I would be interested in traveling at 120 + mph in a Crown Vic. Just doesnt seem like it would be too stable at such speeds.

Originally posted by TurboDave

I was also a dumb punk in my youth and there is one flaw in your statement. Assuming you are speeding from point A to point B there has to be another radio in there between you and point B assuming there is a radio between you and point A. Growing up in the midwest I found there are not many radios,er cops, out on the highways at 3:00 AM and you're home free if you can stay out in front far enough so they cant see your plate. Dont let up just because they did. It was like playing a game of poker, just dont call their bluff by assuming that there is another cop waiting for you up ahead just because they gave up the chase. BTW I never pulled these stunts if there was even the slightest chance that there were some other innocent drivers out on the road at the same time. I couldn't find any links but search the Michigan State Police or Highway Patrol as they do a lot of cop car testing for the Big 3. I used to get comparision testing information all the time. If I recall a mod motor powered CV peters out around 128, a FWD Impala 9C1 tops out at 132 and the old LT1 Caprice was good for 140-142. My LT1 Roadmaster wagon can do 120 all day long long but wont do 125. I think the bigger the car the better the way it rides at mach speeds.

All of our cruisers are Ford CVPI's. Mostly 02's and 03's but we just got a new 04. There are some differences. The 02's and 03's have 3.55 gears and really start falling off on acceleration at about 110 mph, but I've seen them go 120 but they're struggling. I believe they're governed at 124? or 126? now the 04 has 3.27 gears and they're supposed to have 10-15 more horsepower. At 110 they're pulling strong all the way to their governed speed. We had an Impala Police package for a demonstrator. The car handled real well and was strong till about 50 mph, then the CVPI would pull right past it and never look back. We still have a 96 LT1 Caprice that is used for school, court or training. It has 165k on it and it still would whip the CVPI's ass!

Here are some real nice CVPI's. I wish we had a good reason to purchase one of these
http://www.zeusautomotive.com/main.htm

My 2002 Vic with a fairly large and non-aerodynamic light bar will run 134mph flat out on level ground...maybe 136mph down hill. The slick tops or the low profile LED bars will pull a few more mph...maybe 137 mph in a good state of tune. My trooper buddy had a Z28 with a low profile LED light bar and it would run 169 mph fairly easy. Hope that helps....real world numbers (just last week).

Running our Pontiac in the 160-170 mph range with two GPS's and a Rally Computer, we found top speed to be very wind dependent. If you have a 10 mph tail wind, you could add about 8 mph to the top speed. A 10mph head wind subtract 8 mph from the top speed.

Then there was the time we had a 25 mph head wind during a practice session for Big Bend. I've never been 190 mph in a car, but I now know what it sounds like. Loud is an understatment.

at the high school drags last year i ended up racing a cop in their crown vics. in the stagign lanes i talked to the guy a little bit. cocky sob. he semed to think that ford was pretty mean. it was his first pass, and he took the "fast" one for the day so he could show kids we can't outrun the cops. then he ran an 18.6. i stoped to mess witht eh tire press. and he came over and talked to me. his eyes were the size of silver dollars, man its great beating cops! i ran a low 13, so i was almost done by the time he made it half way.

i won the cheifs challenge also (random drawing) iand was sopoust to race the state partoll cheif in his camero. he claimed to have not lost a race in the last 4 years. my moronic friends had to tell him how bad he was going to loose and that my car ran 12's. i get down to the lanelines to meet him, and you'll never guess what. his camero is broken. strange huh.
then run mid 14's btw.