Top End Cleaner

GNAT87

Car has been sucking oil from the PCV lately so I put a catch can on it. Now im wanting to clean it out for a piece of mind. Today I go to the dealer and find out what was used back in the day(GM Top Engine Cleaner) has been discontinued and replaced with GM Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner. I ended up picking a bottle of the new stuff up, but dont plan on pouring it in without feedback. I searched and didnt find much on how to use it. The directions on the back of the bottle suck, they just say dont put it in the fuel tank. Anyway has anyone used this product?

i used it. poured it in- alittle, then the rest of bottle. car stalled and let it sit 10mins, then it cranked right up and poured white smoke. great time to check for the smallest of exhaust leaks. the only bad thing i've heard is the loose carbon running thru the turbo, but i replaced my turbo a month later and it looked fine on the exhaust side, unfortunatly it had sucked the air filer screen thru the front side:eek: . this was probably the first time it had been done motor had 150,000+ miles and had been sitting since '97. my opinion: go for it.

TOP END CLEANER

GM does not make engine cleaner but only puts their name on it and jacks up the price. Oil companies make this product. I have found that Chevron Techron cleaner works great at removing carbon in our engines. Just go to your local auto parts store-save money-screw GM. My 2 cents. Brad

Heads up on puring it in till it stalls. Friend and I did this as we had done several and we washed a ring out of his olds. Since i never pour enough to stall and the let it sit. You can tell by the color of the exh if its carboned up or not.

FWIW.... I hear alky injection and big boost keeps all the parts nice and clean....... :biggrin: yet another benefit of running Razor's Alky kit...... :cool:

Car has been sucking oil from the PCV lately so I put a catch can on it. Now im wanting to clean it out for a piece of mind. Today I go to the dealer and find out what was used back in the day(GM Top Engine Cleaner) has been discontinued and replaced with GM Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner. I ended up picking a bottle of the new stuff up, but dont plan on pouring it in without feedback. I searched and didnt find much on how to use it. The directions on the back of the bottle suck, they just say dont put it in the fuel tank. Anyway has anyone used this product?

GM Top engine cleaner works very well.
I did some testing on an old piston that I had sitting aorund and it did move the carbon of the piston. Not sure about the new stuff ..... Probably an EPA trhing. :rolleyes:

FWIW.... I hear alky injection and big boost keeps all the parts nice and clean....... :biggrin: yet another benefit of running Razor's Alky kit...... :cool:

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I have never found that to be the case.
I have opened a few motors that sprayed quite a bit of 100% VP methanol, and the pistons had carbon on them.
The intake also has oil residue left in it from another problem that was fixed.
Heck, I even poured some meth in al old coffee can to wash the head bolts ……… the oil on the bolts did not really clean up.
Not saying it does not work, just wish it did for me.

Yes, it WORKS for performance, not for "cleaning or de-carbonization".
Maybe it's a HA thing ……….. :rolleyes:

I can't say if it did help or didn't help.... but I got my car with 138k original miles... that were real easy.... I started bolting on pieces... and an alky kit.... started running 22 psi boost on pump gas....and at 158k miles... pulling out of work in a downpour.... it jumped time.... and died..... when I disassembled the engine.... I didn't have any carbon buildup ontop of the pistons.... they were clean... dark colored on top... yes... but no carbon buildup... there or in the combustion chamber and valves...

I can't rightly say alky did that.... but it could have seriously helped....

Thanks for all the replies! I guess im just wondering that with the new GM stuff can you do it the old way by pouring it into the throttle body?

Or I know people have used the seafoam stuff before and it works( I searched:rolleyes: ) Should I just put this crap up and go get something else

Thanks for all the replies! I guess im just wondering that with the new GM stuff can you do it the old way by pouring it into the throttle body?

Or I know people have used the seafoam stuff before and it works( I searched:rolleyes: ) Should I just put this crap up and go get something else

stuff i used was the new stuff. i had your same questions, but it seemed fine to me. FWIW, parts guy said the gm mechanics poured it down cars intakes all day long...:eek:

The new stuff is concentrated and meant to be used in a special tool attached to the fuel rail. Here is a pic of the tool I'm familiar with. As far as something that is the same as the old formula that was poured in through the TB try SeaFoam. I've found that most gas sold in the past 5 years or so do a good job of keeping the piston tops and valves clean assuming the tune is okay on the motor. I've torn apart some motors and have found marginal spark plugs or wires and injectors that caused carbon build up on a cylinder or two.

Attachments

• Injector Cleaner.jpg
    Injector Cleaner.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 222
The new stuff is concentrated and meant to be used in a special tool attached to the fuel rail. Here is a pic of the tool I'm familiar with. As far as something that is the same as the old formula that was poured in through the TB try SeaFoam. I've found that most gas sold in the past 5 years or so do a good job of keeping the piston tops and valves clean assuming the tune is okay on the motor. I've torn apart some motors and have found marginal spark plugs or wires and injectors that caused carbon build up on a cylinder or two.

the stuff i'm talking about came in a quart pour bottle, it's made for that tool??

No the stuff in the quart bottle is poured into the tank. Cheaper stuff at the parts store for that IMO. The REAL TEC is blueish green and comes in a 16 or 8 oz clear bottle and you only use 4 oz at a time.

It's pricey but, BG makes some stuff that actually works. I'd have never believed it if I hadn't personally seen some of their products fix things that had experience old school mechanics baffled, in both gas and diesel applications. I've heard good things about Chevron Techron products also. As a rule of thumb if you stick a match to it and it ignites the product doesn't do much of anything to clean anything in your engine, which is the case in most injector, throttle body, top-end, "cleaners"

the GM stuff discussed here sounds a lot like Sea Foam cleaner.
i had good results with it in a high mileage Ford 3.8 v6.
as previously mentioned, water works pretty good too, vacuumed thru a small hose into intake mani.
i like to get the motor up to temp to maximize the steam effect.

This is the stuff I picked up. Dont have the tool so I'll probably pick up some seafoam

Attachments

• TEC.jpg
    TEC.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 200
I've used Sea Foam on many vehicles but haven't tried it on a TR. If smoke is a sign of it working then it works great! :tongue:

Typically darker color smoke is carbon whiter is not when using the Top engine /whatever brand stuff