To Scan or Not to Scan?

U

uwilose2

I just bought my first Gn about two weeks ago. I have searched under this topic but haven't found the answer I was looking for. Yesterday I ttok my car to a shop to get the cracked header welded and he said I have 7 degrees of knock? I know that ultimately I want 0, but what exactly is a scanmaster gonna do to help me, and what is tuning exactly about?

Thx. Jason

Scanmaster

It is a necessity!

After I installed my Scanmaster (took about 20 mins), and was done tuning the car, I could feel the difference in the car. It ran better, was faster, and didnt detonate. 7 degrees of knock is pretty high. I tune for ZERO. If you let your car detonate like that it will eventually take a toll on the motor and/or headgaskets. Turn your boost down until you get 0 KR and you will be fine. Next to the fact that you can make sure that all your other sensors are set correctly and function properly. Sure beats hooking up a voltmeter to your TPS sensor to set it, when the TPS value shows up on the Scanmaster display. Everyone who replies is going to tell you to get a scantool. Trust me, it is the best purchase you can make for your car. Seriously.

SHould it be the first mod I buy on a stock 87 Gn, or should I do the basics first, Fuel PUmp, Valve Springs etc? They are 250 which isnt cheap. :confused:

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

SCANTOOL........should be your first mod!!! Its a very good investment......will help your GN last a very long time.

Later,
Mack

Originally posted by uwilose2
SHould it be the first mod I buy on a stock 87 Gn, or should I do the basics first, Fuel PUmp, Valve Springs etc? They are 250 which isnt cheap. :confused:

Yup, I am another testimony to scan tools, ran 13.63@99.8 without a scantool, hooked up DirectScan and went out and tuned a bit at the track (fuel pressure and boost) and ran 13.32 and 110.2mph with a stuck wastegate that wouldnt allow me to leave with any boost. I will honestly say that just playing with it on a regular basis, you will learn how to tune the car pretty good. The first time I went to the track, my times got lower and higher, whatever I did was a crapshoot, I had my best run the first time, trying to tune without a scantool resulted in worse times. The last time I went, I had DS hooked up and every run netted me a higher MPH which translates to more power. I would suggest the DirectScan (DS) as it has more info and a much higher update rate (almost instantaneous) than scanmaster or T-Link, but they are all very good and very useful (would be nice to have a scanmaster also so I didn't have to always run the laptop, would also be nice to have the boost sensing option available with T-link) and really should be the first thing you get to go fast (would bet I could get at least 2 tenths off nearly any of these cars that havent been tuned with a scantool)

The guy that is going to install my boost gauge and waste gate actuator is going to hook it up to his scanmaster. How often do I need to tune it? Every time I mod or more than that?

Originally posted by uwilose2
The guy that is going to install my boost gauge and waste gate actuator is going to hook it up to his scanmaster. How often do I need to tune it? Every time I mod or more than that?

Definately get your own scantool ASAP. Scanmaster or Turbolink are great chioces for a novice and work well tuning your car down into the low 12's high 11's.

Every time you make a change to the car you should be checking out your #'s and re-adjusting things to make sure your car is running at it's peak performance level, and you are not causing any damage to you engine. That's the beauty of the Scanmaster, it's always right there in front of you.