to elecrtic fan the stock IC or not?

Pros and cons please
I have to modify the intercooler scoop and I am thinking of installing an electric fan.
I figure an electric IC fan would work a little better than Stock especially in traffic.
What are your guys’ thoughts on this?

In traffic, cooling the IC won't matter much. Having an electric fan on there wound be good for the return lane on the track or for that unexpected stoplight war (to control heat soak).

Might help slightly by increasing air movement across the IC but with the time, money, and effort it would take to do it I don't think it's worth it.

Alky is coming just not now

And since I have to mod the scoop I was curious about the fan.
I guess I’ll leave the fan stuff alone.
Thanks guys.
David

A Great Budget Mod

For a hour & a max. of 80-bucks,
tripled IC fan cfm, & added the
(optional) ability of manual control,
over three years ago. Works great. :smile:

You'd think it'd be on everyone's list of easy & cheap mods.

(But, totally ditching the IC fan & the factory IC to robotically order
an aftermarket IC is so very much "easier", plus, it's the traditional
habitual/automatic/approved/expected/customary thing to do.)

Very stealthy & neat mod. --- :smile:

it works very well...the factory fan is useless. i wonder how front mounts compare to a stock location with a fan on it?

Someone needs to come up with outlet air temps with/without a fan blowing on a SLIC before we start saying it's a good mod.

Always wanted to do this but wanted it to work automatically. Once you are moving the fan really isn't necessary. A speed activated switch would be perfect.

For a hour & a max. of 80-bucks,
tripled IC fan cfm, & added the
(optional) ability of manual control,
over three years ago. Works great. :smile:

You'd think it'd be on everyone's list of easy & cheap mods.

(But, totally ditching the IC fan & the factory IC to robotically order
an aftermarket IC is so very much "easier", plus, it's the traditional
habitual/automatic/approved/expected/customary thing to do.)

Very stealthy & neat mod. --- :smile:

Part numbers on fan???

I been eyeballing fans around the web for install, Figure 8 to 10 amp draw with 10X12 space on stock IC

I wish i was more electronically inclined to rig up somthin that read the tps to shut fan down but i still do things the hebrew way...with hammer and saw

maybe run another temp sensor in uppipe with controller set to desired temp?

hell i dont know.but i do know im about sick of this 10 degrees for the past 5 months
1250 cfm dont sound too bad and 10inch would fit stock ic
eBay Motors: 10 INCH ELECTRIC COOLING FAN. MOUNTING KIT INCLUDED, (item 260214098829 end time Mar-02-08 18:58:25 PST)

I been eyeballing fans around the web for install, Figure 8 to 10 amp draw with 10X12 space on stock IC

I wish i was more electronically inclined to rig up somthin that read the tps to shut fan down but i still do things the hebrew way...with hammer and saw

hell i dont know.but i do know im about sick of this 10 degrees for the past 5 months
eBay Motors: 10 INCH ELECTRIC COOLING FAN. MOUNTING KIT INCLUDED, (item 260214098829 end time Mar-02-08 18:58:25 PST)

WOW for $18.00 its almost a crime not to try it.

good idea for a TPS triger or even from a MAP signal . I'm sure someone on the board would know how to do this and pass the info along .

Just a thought: Why would you want a fan on the IC when your not moving? The IC is doing its job under boost...not at a standstill or regular cruise speed.

I think the Buick engineers put the crank fan from the factory as a bonus but the real cooling effect is from the on rush of incoming air when you are moving fast i.e.: Under boost.

Just my 2 cents...I am not a rocket scientist or an aeronautical engineer.:redface: