tire protection

jlat

hello people; I'm not really into the fluff and buff of my Buick but I do try and keep it clean. I also try and keep my rims and tires clean but what do you think is the best TP that's out there? I don't like the super shiney stuff I see on cars tires but I'd like make it look good and protected.
IBBY

Don't put anything but soapy water on tires.
All of the tire "protectants" will actually pull the oils out of the rubber and cause them to dry rot faster.
If you want to clean up the sidewalls, use a brass brush with the soapy water, and give them a good scrub.

hello; You might have something there as in the past I used a product all the time and the tires did dry rot. The tires where years old and the car was garage kept in the winter. OK that's it no product on my newest set .
thanks
IBBY

hello again; I was just talking to a co-worker and he's a detail freak. He knows about that kinda stuff and he says the same. Just use a stiff brush and some soap. Now how about like the lower front air dams on a TB? I used a product called Back to Black on them.. Do you think that could be a problem?
IBBY

No. Only petroleum based products will dry out tires and make them brown. Most over the counter products fall into this category. They will also produce a very high shine.

What you want is a water based product. Has more of a natural look to it and you can adjust the shine by layering. A good water based product will actually protect your tire from UV damage.

Zaino tire stuff works great and on the air dam too Google Zaino n that should get you to their site good stuff..

Zaino Z-16 is a nice product. Used to be my go-to dressing on tires but its use is limited to tires and trim. These days there are many good multi-use products to choose from. CarPro Perl is my new favorite now and can be used on rubber, plastic, vinyl, leather, etc. It's also dilutable 1:1 for tires 1:5 for interior making it very cost effective. It won't leave a greasy film on everything and dries to the touch so it doesn't attract dust. http://www.pakshak.com/car-pro-perl-coat-plastic-rubber-protectant-500ml.html

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel is another nice product to use http://www.pakshak.com/optimum-opti-bond-tire-gel-32oz.html

I use 303 Aerospace protectant, does not damage tires, one of the best products out there for UV protection. it does not contain any of the chemicals / compounds which damage and degrade rubber. Excellent product if you want to dress the tire a bit, otherwise soap, water and a good stiff brush.

hello people; I e-mailed Meguiars asking if the product (endurance tire care) I was using contained silicon and there return was "Yes this product contains silicon as do all our tire care products. It is also a solvent based and not water based." Something to think about with what was said in this post.
IBBY

Aerospace 303, you can't go wrong with this product, look no further. It can be hard to find at times but these guys know their vinyl, rubber, leather. I just got another gallon will last me years. Like they say it's like SPF40 for your stuff. check out their website. http://www.303products.com/products/

My buddy had put me onto this product, after he dropped over six figures on his cigar boat. He uses it on tow vehicle, all vinyl, rubber, trailer tires etc, all look like new, nothing ever turns brown and no cracking anywhere. Truck, trailer, boat are always in the sun. In the pic below we were about to give the boat a once over before we hit the water. Note the super sexy GN in the lower left of the frame, LOL!
IMG_2264.JPG

Aerospace 303, you can't go wrong with this product, look no further. It can be hard to find at times but these guys know their vinyl, rubber, leather. I just got another gallon will last me years. Like they say it's like SPF40 for your stuff. check out their website. http://www.303products.com/products/

My buddy had put me onto this product, after he dropped over six figures on his cigar boat. He uses it on tow vehicle, all vinyl, rubber, trailer tires etc, all look like new, nothing ever turns brown and no cracking anywhere. Truck, trailer, boat are always in the sun. In the pic below we were about to give the boat a once over before we hit the water. Note the super sexy GN in the lower left of the frame, LOL!View attachment 222999

The dude(?) mowing the lawn in the wife beater.......... not so super sexy............ :ROFLMAO:

My apologies if that's you. :eek:

303 has been around forever and no one can knock its merits as a protectant. I've used it many times myself in the past going back to the 80's, mostly for interiors and engine detailing, but for tires specifically there are much better products out there these days that give a better look and is longer lasting and won't dry out the rubber. Like anything else, personal preference has a lot to do with selecting products like this...and theres no doubt great advances have/are being made in the world of detailing products.

It's not me so don't worry

I was just thinking, he's going to blow grass all over your GN.
303 is a great product, I use it all the time in the interiors because it protects with just a minimal amount of shine to it. For the tires, I like a little more gloss and Adam's VRT is my favorite. Great for all rubber / plastic / vinyl surfaces.

^^^^What are your rear tire specs? They look pretty mean.
At the time they were 275/50/15 Mickey Thompson drag radials on an 8 inch rim. I think it was a 3.5 inch back spacing, it was odd for sure but looks ok and the tires fit no rubbing. I can check and get back to you, I currently have 275/60/15 but no pictures. Lots of space left under there.

Here is one from the rear on a hoist, the second is with the Nitto 275/60.

Attachments

• IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    797.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3325.JPG
    IMG_3325.JPG
    964.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
It that's a real Cigarette boat, I want a ride in it now!!!! (Respect to the late Don Arronow)

Bruce '87 Grand National