Tire installer DESTROYED my wheels

when I bought my GN it had 4 brand new eagle gt+4's on it after a week of driving it, 1 developed a bulge like yours and when I replaced the 2 rears both of them looked like that (torn beads) so I changed them all. what a waste of good rubber.

I'm bringing my car into NTB tomorrow to get the rears changed...this thread is freaking me out.:eek:

Hey Guys,
I don't have any experience with the BFG TA's. Are they a good choice in a 15 inch tire or are they as some have said "soft sidewall" a lesser choice. I like how they look especially compared to the Firestone 500 i have now. What options are good?

Hey Guys,
I don't have any experience with the BFG TA's. Are they a good choice in a 15 inch tire or are they as some have said "soft sidewall" a lesser choice. I like how they look especially compared to the Firestone 500 i have now. What options are good?

You should probably just read this whole thread or do a search. Check one of my recent ones for example. (I have had BFG TAs on numerous cars and keep going back. Good looks, many sizes, decent all around tire for muscle cars)

You should probably just read this whole thread or do a search. Check one of my recent ones for example. (I have had BFG TAs on numerous cars and keep going back. Good looks, many sizes, decent all around tire for muscle cars)

Vader,
Thanks for the reply and yes I read the whole thing before I finally asked as it came to a good conclusion. Again thanks for your opinion and i will do a search but figured some guys here with experience chimed in about the tires.

Did a quick search through the past posts...hope this helps! By the way, the main concern with the tires that others have noted is handling in snow. Now, I use them all year round because I have to, and have no problems with these in the snow. Actually, I think they are better than other tires you could choose. Most people here probably would not care about snow traction because their cars are nice an toasty during the winter months!;)

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/310468-need-your-opinion.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...al-wheel-tire-picture-thread-show-em-off.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...e-size-original-gn-wheels-what-best-size.html

I also highly recommend Jim at TruDesign. Jim did my Aluminum TR wheels (actually 84 /85 GN wheels with the paint blasted off) & repaired the center to hold the center caps & he also widened 2 of them to 9 1/2".

I never take my wheels anywhere 'til I have removed the center caps. Last time I had any tire work done, I took them to the hobby shop on NAS JAX & did the work myself.

I spoke to Jim at TDW and everything he tells me so far has made me feel better about all this. He said he will be able to re-use my original shells and just straighten and re-chrome them. That way I will be able to keep the original date codes. He has them now, so hopefully in 2 weeks they will be done. I'll post an update when i get them back!

Just wanted to update this...finally got my wheels back on the car after 3 months. Jim at TDW initially straightened and rechromed my original wheels, but when I got them back I could still see problems. The areas where the bends had been had material removed which left flat spots on the outer edge. After speaking to Jim he agreed to take them back and replace the outer shells with new ones. I should have just gone this route in the first place. I found a reputable local wheel shop to install the new tires. In the end, the wheels look great. I just wish this all never happened! 3 months is a long time to have the car undriveable all because I decided to get new tires.

Glad to hear it all worked out in the end. In the big picture going thru an issue like this in 3 months is actually a great time frame!

Glad to hear it all worked out in the end. In the big picture going thru an issue like this in 3 months is actually a great time!

I guess you could have rented a car all this time and sue them for the rental fees....I assume their insurance carrier could have footed the bill (if that were the case).

But then again, most TR community members are just pragmatic people and we don't like overextending our stay.

Or it would have bee a nice excused to buy a new set of tires and wheels :)

Considering how many shops are just closing down...You are agreeable to what you have as a repair, then you are ahead.

You can always use http://www.yelp.com to pass along your experience so that another person in your area doesn't end up in the same situation, knows what to do if they screw up again, or worse...the shop doesn't do anything to train the guy and lets several cars with crappy wheels out in the general public and create a potentially hazardous situation.

Just wanted to update this...finally got my wheels back on the car after 3 months. Jim at TDW initially straightened and rechromed my original wheels, but when I got them back I could still see problems. The areas where the bends had been had material removed which left flat spots on the outer edge. After speaking to Jim he agreed to take them back and replace the outer shells with new ones. I should have just gone this route in the first place. I found a reputable local wheel shop to install the new tires. In the end, the wheels look great. I just wish this all never happened! 3 months is a long time to have the car undriveable all because I decided to get new tires.