Tinman GNX style rear Brace....

313badbuick

A V6!!!!
Well finally some much needed attention to the suspension on my 87 GN. Along with new body bushings, new springs and isolators all the way around, new KYB shocks all the way around, and front frame braces and Tinman GNX rear brace. Should be a night and day difference in ride quality especially since the body bushings were completely shot . All work done at RIchard Clark's Garage.....thanks Clint, Mike, Peter Hoffman, and of course Mr. Richard Clark.

Attachments

• TINMAN BRACE.jpg
    TINMAN BRACE.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 446
  • TINMAN BRACE 2.jpg
    TINMAN BRACE 2.jpg
    898.1 KB · Views: 429
Does that seat brace need to be welded in?
Weld or bolt in your choice

http://tinmanperformance.net/crbst_3.html

This reproduction GNX-style rear seat brace is very similar to what ASC installed in every GNX. The idea was to strengthen the body of the Regals that received the GNX upgrade.

This reproduction brace is similar to the original GNX rear seat brace, but is slightly wider. The brace is made in 16-gauge galvanized steel, so it will not rust. The ears on the ends are doubled over for additional strength.

Each brace comes with easy-to-follow detailed directions with photos. All the hardware, even the actual drill bits, are included to make this installation easy.

This new brace will work with the partial rear seat brace kit, but you will have to completely remove two of the four rear seat braces. Unlike the rear seat brace kit we currently sell (PART# 1586) that bolts to the rear seat frame, this new brace bolts to the trunk floor pan and the trunk gussets for added strength.

I have the old Kenne Bell version of this bolted in. It's been in for 15+ years and was still tight last time I checked. Makes a nice difference.

This brace is the way to go. The cross tube x brace bolt in ones crack the body at the center joint over time

Reactions: sas
I already have the cross tube braces. It looks like based on the way this installs I can keep them and add this one. Anyone know?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Also, I don't weld. Do I need someone to weld this for me?

I already have the cross tube braces. It looks like based on the way this installs I can keep them and add this one. Anyone know?

Description above says you have to remove 2 bars but can keep 2 installed.

I also bolted in the Tinman rear brace, along with GNX bushing and replaced worn or missing bushings a few years ago. Made a huge difference no more squeaks or rattles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You will only need the GNX brace. If you can weld it...its a much cleaner install. It completely stopped all the squeaks and rattles in my T-top car...but the biggest difference was how stiff it makes it. I can put a jack behind the driver front tire and it will lift 3 tires off the ground. Before the brace...you had to jack the car way higher to accomplish this. It really helps with the flex.
The GNX brace and HR Parts rear sway bar are the 2 biggest chassis enhancers we can put on these cars without major welding or fabrication.

Coach would the GNX style Brace be a fairly easy install with all of this in the trunk ? pic is attached

Attachments

• 20160523_094840.jpg
    20160523_094840.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 224
Might want to make a bridge out of pressure treated lumber spanning across the trunk so you dong crush the book window sticker & other items, not sure how you'll get around the stereo equipment but if your really flexible you might be able to access the area behind it to do the install.. No I'm being a dick but seriously, wouldn't you just remove those things?

Coach would the GNX style Brace be a fairly easy install with all of this in the trunk ? pic is attached

If it's a GNX as the paraphernalia would indicate, it already has one, however, it installs behind the rear seat, so no worries.
You would have to reach behind the brace to tighten the upper bolts. The bolts on the bottom go through the body and are accessed from under the car.
If welding, just make sure not to catch all that cool stuff on fire.

Seem to recall that someone on this forum used some form of bodyman's adhesive, along with either bolts or rivets.

If it's a GNX as the paraphernalia would indicate, it already has one, however, it installs behind the rear seat, so no worries.
You would have to reach behind the brace to tighten the upper bolts. The bolts on the bottom go through the body and are accessed from under the car.
If welding, just make sure not to catch all that cool stuff on fire.
Haha jokes on me love it!