Time To Play "Guess that part i broke" again!!!!

Sal 87WE2

--NONE--
Ok all, seems i have a knack for breaking parts on my car :biggrin:.

Yesterday i did some odds and ends to my car and i decided to take for a test drive since everything was working good. I had a full tank of 93 and a full tank of methanol 99.95%. I got on an open stretch of highway and began to accelerate. As i look ove at my boost gauge i see 24 psi and then i hear this high pitch screeching sound so i let off. I slowly come to a stop and notice some smoke from the rear. I pull over and open the hood and i have a look around. I didnt see anything out of the ordinary so i check under the car to see if I blew out some tranny fluid or something and i dont see anything so i start making my way home. Drive-ability seems ok so i decide to open it up again to duplicate the sound, 24 psi and the same high pitch sound is produced, the sound is only above 15psi. I get close to home and notice a lot more smoke coming out from the rear so i park it and open the hood. I rev the engine and i see blue smoke come out of the tail pipes and as i rev it a puff of smoke comes out the pass side breather filter so i shut it down...

I was thinking something with the turbo until you mentioned smoke out of the breather... I would start by pulling the intake hose/pipe off the turbo and check the in/out and up/down movement in the wheels. Maybe you caught some wheel to housing contact early?

Wow...The exact same thing just happened to me with the same turbo. I sent my turbo off to Precision over the winter to be freshened up. I've got 2 miles on the turbo, and the first time I get into boost over 15lb, I get this noise that sounds like a bad alternator bearing. The car starts billowing smoke. I pulled the downpipe to find the exhaust wheel chewed to sh!t.

Needless to say, the turbo is going back to Precision on Monday.

So pull your downpipe and check the turbo for play.

let us know when you find out.
I was thinking head gasket or broken piston ring.

So far everyone is on the right track!!!

Yesterday after i parked it i removed the inlet bell and checked for play. There is A LOT of up and down movement :mad: and A LOT of scoring on the inside of the cover. So, that explains the noise :( and the smoke from the tail pipes.

But, what about the puff of smoke coming out of the pass side breather as i revved the engine?? That issue i did not investigate further....

Call me tomorrow Sal if you still have my number. I should be in the shop after 12 and I may be able to help you.

Your turbo is toast, but depending on the volume of the breather smoke it could be a headgasket blown into the valley. A compression check would confirm this with low readings on a single cylinder.

Your turbo is toast, but depending on the volume of the breather smoke it could be a headgasket blown into the valley. A compression check would confirm this with low readings on a single cylinder.

Ok, i tested each cylinder and i get 150 psi on all 6. Small amounts of smoke out of both breathers only when i rev the engine. Large amounts of smoke out of tail pipes as i rev the engine. What does everyone think? I know turbo is bad but what is causing smoke from the breathers?

I had smoke out of my breathers after one of my blown turbos. The exhaust gases were going through the center section and through the turbo drain hose and out of the breathers. The shaft on the turbo broke and the exhaust wheel was wedged in the downpipe. The exhaust was going through where the shaft used to be.

I had smoke out of my breathers after one of my blown turbos. The exhaust gases were going through the center section and through the turbo drain hose and out of the breathers. The shaft on the turbo broke and the exhaust wheel was wedged in the downpipe. The exhaust was going through where the shaft used to be.

Sounds like i have the same problem. I can see how the smoke would travel through the drain tube and into the crankcase. This makes perfect sense considering i have A Lot oil leaking from the triangular gasket of the turbo where it mates to the headers. Thanks KevinB!

Sounds like i have the same problem. I can see how the smoke would travel through the drain tube and into the crankcase. This makes perfect sense considering i have A Lot oil leaking from the triangular gasket of the turbo where it mates to the headers. Thanks KevinB!
No prob. Hope thats all your problem is. If compression was the same on all 6, that kinda rules out major piston, valve or hg damage.

Really? :eek:

Damn! I don't ever remember seeing a video of that lol. That was one of the blown turbos I've suffered haha.