Time for a new turbo...

1984grandnat

I just shreeded the bearing in my stock turbo today, and would like some suggestions for a replacement turbo. I am keeping the car non-intercooled (no arguments, hehe), and would probably like to stick to the stock turbo mounting location and stock-style intake/exhaust setup. I guess what I want to know is: what is the largest turbo that will fit in the factory location, and still work with stock-type intake manifold and exhaust headers? Is this a TE or TA style turbo?

I have many mods planned in the near future including headers, head porting, intake porting, cam and whatever stall convertor it takes to make it all work, but since I have to replace the turbo now, I would like to go ahead and take the leap into a large one while I am doing it, even if it means a slower spoolup, temporarily.

Let me know what you guys think.

Turbo

well the bad thing is for a direct bolt up the biggest you can buy is a Ta-33. you might want to call persion and ask them if the can put the stock intake housing and what not and make a bigger turbo then a ta-33. i have a ta-54 on the way and having a buddy at a local shop (mostly gn's) make me a custom piece that will make the turbo a direct bolt up. thats about all i know.

brent:p

Found a TA-33c that I may end up using. Was told that this turbo uses the same inernals as a TA-49. If this is true, this should be good for about 500 HP, with the right mods, and could theoretically see 1/4 times deep into the 11s, am I right? If this is the case, then this turbo would probably be fine for what I want to do. The other that I am considering is a TA-47, built by Precision Turbo. Anyone with experience with either of these turbos, please let me know what you think.

hey

well the ta-33 will be enough but i would in your case try to go with something a little bigger. i just ordered my ta-54 and u can see that is a big turbo. the ta-33 is going to produce alot of hot air at high boost levels. so i figured i would get a little bigger turbo save on heat and gain some more power. im not running a intercooler and never will, PERIOD. i should be in the low 12's high 11's no as my best run was a 13.0 at 108 with a leaking turbo adapter. i know the car will run low 12 it will be in the 11's i know for sure. trans brake on the way the works. also some 55's

brent

i dont think a 33 will make it to 11's without an intercooler just will be putting out too much hot air temp to support that kinda hp.

Well, obviously, I want to do this right the first time, but at the same time, I don't want to spend a grand on a big turbo and then another couple hundred on fabrication, not to mention a couple days down time to try to rig something together to make it fit on my engine. This is a daily driver, and I also work full time, so I just don't have the time to do alot of work at this point, so a direct replacement unit sure sounds good. On the other hand, I hear what you are saying about a bigger turbo.

What is going to be required to fit a TA-54 on this car? If I knew exactly what I need to do, I may be a little more optimistic about stuffing a huge turbo in there. I don't mind spending some money, if I know this money is going toward a sure thing (as far as fit is concerned).
Well, let me know what you think.

We need to make this a sticky. I'll say again. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER SIZE YOU WANT IN THE STOCK HOUSINGS. I have a TA 62 in the stock housings. From the outside there is no difference whatsoever, it looks like a stock hotair turbo. It's still a direct bolt on for a non-intercooled car. Send in your old turbo and tell them what you want. Judging by how thin the metal is on the compressor side I'd say the 62 is as far as you could go in the stock housings. Just remember you will be losing some hp by staying with the small housing.

Thanks for being patient with me guys. Who do I need to contact to have this done? Can anyone do the work (Precision Turbo, Limit Engineering, etc), or is there a specific vendor that I need to contact for this. I have already talked to all the above, but they seem to only have one option available---the TA-33C.

Thanks again for any more info.

Mine was done by precision. I'm sure all they stock on the shelves is a TA33 but any good turbo shop should be able to take your stock turbo and custom make it into whatever you want. Pick the size turbo you want and tell them you want it with the stock compressor housing.

...and even though I am using the small stock housing, I should still notice a power increase over the stock internals, and probably over the TA-33 internals as well, right? I guess all the compatibility questions that I have can be answered by looking at the mods in your signature, especially if this combination worked well for you? What would be a decent price to have this work done? $800 bucks or so?

Thanks again.