Tilt Column loose

J.R.

Any input as to the process of repairing this issue is appreciated.

87 GN

The tilt steering assembly is loose and I recall this being a fairly common problem in the past. some 15 years ago, I was a technician, and have the pivot pin puller at home in my (dusty) toolbox.My question is this:

I beleive I have the tools necessary, (steering wheel puller and pivot pin puller) but I cant recall if there were any particularly problematic steps, or other special tools needed.

If anyone feels inclined to post a quick walk through to refresh my memory, I would appreciate it. Also, how long should this take?

Thanks in advance,
J.R.

Tilt column loose.

Does the steering wheel wobble all over?

there are 3 screws down inside the column that you will be able to get to once your properly remove the steering wheel.

I think you will need to remove the horn mechanism to access these small little screws once the wheel is off.

Its been since 97 or 98 for me:eek:

As Ive been sitting here going through the process in my memory, I seem to recall that you remove the steering wheeel, turn signal switch, and possibly cruis stalk, remove pins from the side of the steering column to gain access to the small retainers that hold the tilt assembly to the column, but I just can't recall for sure.

Does the steering wheel wobble all over?

Forgot to add, yes, wobbles all over. Shaft deosn not move in and out, just wobbles on the tilt assembly.

Thanks,
J.R.

You dont have to take the pin out then,...

My first turbo regal had that steering wheel wobble issue till the highbeams wouldnt work-

I removed the wheel and took out the white turn signal thinggy, my memory is coming back:eek:

Once that is out you should be able to reach 3 of the 4 screws that hold it all tight. i think i used a spring flex 1/4 drive extension to reach them... its been awhile sorry..

BW

I didnt have either of the needed tools, other than the steering wheel puller. There is so much crap stacked up in that column, I gave up after barely being able to access 1 screw. that 1 screw tightened it up for about 2 weeks, then it came loose again. I was able to pull the plastic cover off the bottom left side of the column last weekend, and was able to access the bottom left screw without pulling anything else off....barely. I used a 1/4" drive swivel and small socket/extension...I was able to tighten up that one screw, just snug enough to stop the wobble. I left the cover off so I can tighten it again, before I pick up another column.