Thrust bearing modification?

rw87tt

:confused: I got my engine back from the machine shop a couple of days ago and noticed that the machinest had cut a V on the mateing flange on the thrust side of the bearing on both top and bottom halves. Has any body seen this before? I was planning to file the bottom bearing where it joins the top half of the complete bearing from the oil channel to the thrust surface. I'm not sure this would be a good idea the way it is now. The shop here in Houston has a good reputation for thir work. I just had'nt asked them about it yet. What do you guys think about what was done? Should I get another thrust bearing? Any input is always appreciated and I look foward to your replys. Thanks,

I have an old engine builder buddy that I had talked to about crank thrust problems. He told me of some procedures he would perform on the crank thrust bearing to help them live better. The mods actually made good sense. He also went on to say that some people would be absolutely outraged from some of the tricks that might be done in the process of building an engine, only because they can't grasp the reasoning for the modification. People lacking mechanical aptitude can be taken aback when a procedure strays from the middle-of-the-road norm. I shouldn't say lacking mechanical aptitude, but with less, or lacking the experience of many years and situations.

The reaction and ridicule that an engine builder might get from doing certain procedures often forces them to keep these mods to himself or among his circle of other engine builders.

If the modification surprises you, why don't you ask the person that did it first?

If the thrust surface of the crank has been touched by a crank grinder to "true it", it MUST be hand polished with 500, then 600, then 1500 grit paper. Look closely at the thrust surface of a freshly ground crank, and you will see what looks like a saw blade finish on the thrust. Hand polish it out. Since I have been doing this, my thrust failures have almost dried up. Also, the main cap must be seated with a LARGE Wichita Wacker! BFH, ok, a big dead blow hammer. The crank must be wacked hard from the front, then the back of the crank. Most guys know this, but some forget.

turbofabricator; Thanks for the information and I will follow the procedure for preparing the crankshaft.

Subscribed!

Curious if you talked to the machinist about the mod he did to your thrust bearing.