Throttlebody shaft repair

turbobooster

So after months and months if chasing this vacuum leak I think I found the culprit looks to be thus pivoting shaft right behind the tps sensor as the picture shows ..... I made my own smoke machine and it works awesome cant believe I didn't get around to this way earlier anyway the smoke is creeping out of this area where the screw driver is pointing to in the pic, and it is also coming out of small holes in my original stock intake tube which I'm not surprised at all it's old! Anyway that I can replace but I have no idea how to do. The other leak in the throttle body? Can this be something I can do with some kind of repair seal kit. ? Is my throttle body done? Or do I ha e to remove it and send it out to get repaired? If so who is the perfect guy for this kinda job. ? I need help with this as I am trying to get this car tuned properly thanx

turbobooster said:
So after months and months if chasing this vacuum leak I think I found the culprit looks to be thus pivoting shaft right behind the tps sensor as the picture shows ..... I made my own smoke machine and it works awesome cant believe I didn't get around to this way earlier anyway the smoke is creeping out of this area where the screw driver is pointing to in the pic, and it is also coming out of small holes in my original stock intake tube which I'm not surprised at all it's old! Anyway that I can replace but I have no idea how to do. The other leak in the throttle body? Can this be something I can do with some kind of repair seal kit. ? Is my throttle body done? Or do I ha e to remove it and send it out to get repaired? If so who is the perfect guy for this kinda job. ? I need help with this as I am trying to get this car tuned properly thanx

Sorry for the double post the app isn't allowing me to post a pic here it goes
image.jpg

I have also heard good things about this guy he's the first that came to mind .... I remember someone mentioning in the hot air section something about requesting or asking the guy to replace or modify something that fails on our throttle bodies in that shaft area or something within those lines? but not sure hopefully someone can refresh my memory or bring it up again what to ask for when getting the throttle body machined and repaired ....

i dont think a removal and send out is necessary, it should just be an o-ring or rubber gasket, in there, if you take out the tps, theres a screw you can take out to see whats in there, i think im gonna see how it goes tomorrow and post whats in it and what i used to seal it

It's a metal clad seal. G body parts has them

It's a metal clad seal. G body parts has them

Here goes a dumb question but I have to ask when doing the smoke vacuum leak test should my throttle body blade be WOT ?

turbobooster said:
Here goes a dumb question but I have to ask when doing the smoke vacuum leak test should my throttle body blade be WOT ?
You can open it. It's also possible to pressure test the intake with the rocker arms removed also. Can spray around the outside area with soapy water. You will feel the leakage coming out of the crankcase if the intake gasket is leaking. You need to use regulated air and make a tool to clamp safely to the inlet. It can't be smooth or have weak clamps or it might shoot out like a bullet when the intake is pressurized.

hello people; I just got a TB back from Steve Monroes service. It looks new and with what was done should be better than new. IMO you might want to try the seal and see what happens. If you do go for the TB service that's offered from Steve M. it should fix any problems and your car should be better with it. It was a quick turn around and we'll see what happens. I got the doghouse work also.
IBBY

That's good to hear I was emailing back and forth with him yesterday about my concerns and issues and he is one hella of a good guy he suggested some good things and told me his experiences with these air leaks he's definitely here to help and not just make a qwik buck from us that's awesome...... I'm going to attempt the change out of these seals and go from there and wen ready I am definitely going with him for modifications

Ok need some more help I just some more vacuum leak testing and found smoke coming out of 2 other places and I don't know if smoke should be coming out of these 2 spots please help and lmk if they need replacing or if its normal my wastegate at the rod and diaphragm and also my egr it's coming from underneath the egr where u can stick ur fingers to feel the diaphragm there here are pics please help

image-1472794593.jpg

image-2576677836.jpg

might be a ripped diaphram in the wastegate, try a vacume pump on the end of it and see if it holds vacume, and the egr might be the gasket where it bolts to.

liv4gnz said:
might be a ripped diaphram in the wastegate, try a vacume pump on the end of it and see if it holds vacume, and the egr might be the gasket where it bolts to.

Well I took a real close look at it and it doesn't appear to be coming from the gasket bolt area it's coming out from the top of the egr where u can stick a finger in to feel the diaphragm should smoke be coming out of there or does that mean its no good because its leaking from there?

not sure if its supposed to come out or not but alot of times it gets full or carbon and gets stuck, i would take it out and put a vacume pump on the top nipple as well and see if you can open the pintle with it and it moves up and down

EGR test; Remove the vacuum line, push up the bottom of the EGR diaphragm (engine cold of course) and place your finger on the metal vacuum nipple. Let go of the diaphragm. It will drop down part way then stop. Take your finger off the nipple and it will drop farther if the diaphragm is good. That's how I've always tested dash pots and diaphragms.

On the 84-85 TB, they don't have shaft seals. Being pre-turbo the small amount of leak there wouldn't be a problem unless it got to the point where the motor was dying & not idling well. I haven't heard of that happening yet and I've sold well over 100 of these TBs.
Thanks,
Steve