Throttle Body Blade return spring Q

Jan Larsson

On my TTA (so same TB as the 86/87 GN) I noticed the throttle blade don't return to exactly the same location each time I let go of the throttle and seems like the spring (driver side of TB) don't pull it back all the way each time (I can push it back just slightly with my hand to the adjusting screw stop).

Can the spring be turned another turn on there to tighten it up or any other tricks to get it to pull the throttle blade back better each time.

I notice this on my TPS setting (idle setting) as I set it to 0.38 then after pushing the throttle in comes back to 0.40 or 0.42 unless I pull the throttle back manually with my foot or hand then it's back at 0.38 (or if I used the TB leaver and do the same thing). So just letting off the foot wont return the throttle blade 100%.

Jan,

As long as the TPS is no higher than 0.44 you are OK., I wouldn't worry about it.
What is the TPS reading at WOT? (engine off of course).

dave

Had the same issue last year. You have play in the throttle plate shaft there's nothing wrong with the spring. If you look on the passenger side the nut on the throttle shaft is held in place by metal tangs that I bent against the nut. Bend them down and try tightening the nut. Bend the tangs back up and check the shaft for play. That took care of my problem.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

In my case the car idled fine sometimes and high other times. I set my TPS at ,44 but if the throttle did not return correctly the TPS would be high and the car would idle higher.

The return spring should snap the throttle blade shut without hesitation once the gas pedal is released. By your description it sounds like the spring needs to be wound another turn or there's issues with the shaft causing it to stick.

Unless somebody wound the spring wrong I think you're going to find you're not going to be able to get another turn on the spring. Tighten the nut on the shaft and see if that does anything for you.

Last edited:
WOT TPS reading is fine and car runs perfect.

Will check everything pointed out in your replies and see if there's some other issues here or not.

Really appreciate the help !

BTW-The shaft nut is on the driver's side. My mistake.

Disconnect the cruise control cable and see if that allows the throttle body to actuate properly.