Threads pulled out torquing heads!

Heath

Elroyjr
Well any ideas on fixing this problem? I was at 50 lbs when it broke loose. Using ARP bolts.

Now you see why most go to studs. These blocks aren't new any more and need all the help they can get .

i have seen it happen a few times. you can stack two 7/16-20 helicoils to fix it. poor cooling system maintenance erodes the threads

Time Serts work well, but you would need to use the alignment plate and tap guide to be sure the threads are square to the block. The problem with Time Serts is they have a shoulder on them that requires the use of a countersink tool that comes with the drill, tap, and tap guide. 109 blocks have the threads well below the deck. I have never used one on a 109 block, but it could be done if the insert were modified. I have used them on a 4.1 with good results. If you use helicoils, you also have to drill and tap the block perfectly square to the deck. Some machine shops do it with a magnetic drill that is set up to the hole and then locked down to the deck, or a fixture that bolts to the deck designed for the purpose.

I was hoping for a fix that did not require pulling the head back off. The motor is in the car also:rage:

I've done plenty of hg in the car. Why wouldn't you go to studs. The newer ones have an Allen head so you can get them in and out in the car. It's a beautiful thing.

I've done plenty of hg in the car. Why wouldn't you go to studs. The newer ones have an Allen head so you can get them in and out in the car. It's a beautiful thing.
I have had this motor in there for 8 years. Had ARP bolts thought they were good.
Sounds like that is what I need. I have had this engine for 8 years. Having problems with the head gaskets seeping water. Had the receiver grooves cut in the GN1s. Apparently the grooves were not lining up. When I removed the head the gasket was mashed between cylinders.

I have had this motor in there for 8 years. Had ARP bolts thought they were good.

Sounds like that is what I need. I have had this engine for 8 years. Having problems with the head gaskets seeping water. Had the receiver grooves cut in the GN1s. Apparently the grooves were not lining up. When I removed the head the gasket was mashed between cylinders.
Thanks for the info.

I had one block in the late 90's that I had replaced head gaskets on at least 10 times. Never had a problem with fasteners and I used bolts. I'd do a pull test on all the threads. Use a calibrated torque wrench. The magnetic base drill works like a champ for drilling and tapping the deck. Make sure you are getting the proper engagement with your fasteners before you attempt re-using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one block in the late 90's that I had replaced head gaskets on at least 10 times. Never had a problem with fasteners and I used bolts. I'd do a pull test on all the threads. Use a calibrated torque wrench. The magnetic base drill works like a champ for drilling and tapping the deck. Make sure you are getting the proper engagement with your fasteners before you attempt re-using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Might order studs to be safe. Looks like I am pulling the engine!:cry: