thread sealer ?

Lee Thompson

What are you all using (with success ) for sealer on head studs. The Loctite ( 592 ) I have been using, worked good for years, but the last 2 times I used it I have had seapage around 1 or 2 studs.
Looking for some thing better.

I've had good luck with permatex PST..or swak(swedgelok) brand..it's a white sealer paste with teflon..I am sure ARP thredsealer is the same!...some are using RTV...joe:)

I have used both with success, permatex #2 and ARP thread sealer with teflon.

paul

I believe that any of those are good. You must put the sealer on all the threads, not just the first few. I used a q-tip and swabbed the bottom few threads in the block prior to installing the studs/bolts. Worked for me.
Mitch

I've tried most all of them and they work okay until retorque then the seepage from around the studs begin....So far I've added 5 of the GM sealer tablets and have stopped most all (but not all) of the seepage problem.

HellOnWheels

sealer

Thanks to all who replyed.
Hell on wheels, your post set a light bulb off. I never retorqued until lately (last 2 times)
But I/m using studs. Maybe moved just enough to break the seal.
I use 2 sealant tabs. I will start using more.

I also have used the PST with mixed results. Seems that on my motor the first time I used it they leaked a bit, then the secpnd time it was sealed good and dry. My dad's motor leaked like a siv, so we pulled the leakers out and applied a LIBERAL amount of that goop and a few Bars leaks tabs and all seems to be well thus far. I believe it's hit and miss with the sealers, JMO.