Thrasher 100 Track Results

G

GN-C5-RACER

This was my first time racing a GN at the track. The mods are listed below. Car is a 86 gn with 44,000 miles with a tune up. I had a full tank of c-12 108 octane fuel. Temps was 50-60 degrees.

rt- .525
60-1.79
330-5.23
1/8-8.17
mph-83.41
1000-10.73
et-12.8 @ 102

mods:
Thrasher 100 chip
adj fpr set at 45 vac off
no catalytic converter
atr exhaust
kennebell cold air kit
air bag on right coil spring
BFG drag radials 255/50/16 on GNX rims
AC-tr 44 Plugs gapped at .035
Boost was at 17-18 with 0 knock retard
launch with 5 pounds of boost
High flow fuel pump
rest of the car is stock

I didnt know how to adjust the boost and feel that if I ran with 21 pounds these numbers would have been better.

CAR SETUP

WOW, that sounds like the setup i've been wanting for my car. i don't want to change my car much - i guess i'm a purist. can u give me an idea of costs? any other tips? thanks!
:D

THe car came set up as is and all I added was the $25 thrasher 92 and 100 chip so I cant give you a price break down of each mod. The car still has more in it with some tuning of FPR and boost.

thanks C5

thanks for the info. C5!!
does anyone have information (i.e., times - ET, 60foot, etc.) on a box stock car with just slicks, a chip (any recommendations?) and adjustible fuel pressure regulator? let's see how many replies this gets. the chip post is always good...LOL. :D :eek:

I don't know what your definition of stock is since most people will at least replace fuel pump and the air filter, but I have 2 friends in the 11's..

Here's what works for 2 friends:
These are the only mods for each car: Stock trans/conv and rear end.

87 GN- K&N filter, 3" dp (open dump), stock type green stripe injectors (not 009's), XP pump, adj regulator, home ported heads w/ factory valves, valve springs, Air bags, RA108 chip 23psi,10x26 slicks.-11.96 @113 launch 18-20psi

T-type- K&N filter, 3" dp (open dump), stock injectors, XP pump, adj regulator, home ported heads w/ factory valves, valve springs, Air bags, RA108 chip 20psi,10x26 slicks.-11.86 @ 114 launch 15psi

The T-type above went 12.2's with un-ported heads, stock v-springs and the stock fuel pump before it was decided that it couldn't keep up with the fuel demand.

hope this helps

Regards
Kevin.

oops sorry I forgot to add that i had fuel pump also. I edited it.

recipe

Kevin,
thanks, i'd like to try this combo. this coming summer. i really appreciate you going out of the way and listing those. i've been hard pressed to find something that works. i read that 11 second recipe on Gnttype.org of Mr. Fox's (??) and e-mailed him to see how much further he's taken that combo...with NO reply. thanks again!

Yea that is bugging me the low mph for that et. I really didnt mess around with the fpr.....o2's were kinda rich around .830 so i think with more tuning my mph would have come up more.

NOSjohnWE4 :
no problemeemo.. :D

That kinda sucks when people don't respond to emails.. I always do even if it's a VERY late reply.. usually by accident.

ks

Kevin,
yeah, i think it's actually kind of rude if you never reply to an e-mail. i always try to be nice to everyone. later...

I just noticed that my GN has a TCC lock up switch installed but the wire wasnt connected to the adl when I was racing and ran those times. What would I have ran if the TCC lock up switch was working and I locked it up in either 2 or 3rd gear? Is it better to lock in 2 or 3?

TCC lock

GN-C5,
most people will tell u that it's worth about .1 or MAYBE .2 ! the two tenth is a big maybe. so i would tend to think without the convertor slipping it should be worth at LEAST that. i hope you're more happy now. :D i've read varying opinions on where you should lock it up. some say immediately after 60foot (1st gear), others say 2nd gear is the optimum point. i remember one article saying it's STRESSFUL to lock it in 1st but would take many, MANY runs to ruin the trans. for further insight, i would direct this question toward Bruce (WE4). hey Bruce! ;) later...

I lock my TCC at the line after my burnout......and I did see 2mph....... I forgot to lock it one time and my MPH dropped off 1.8mph

The TC won't lock in 1st gear...It will lock as soon as the tranny goes into 2nd and stay locked the whole time...So lock it on the line and let 'er rip!!! :D

TCC Lockup Forced at WOT

This is an old trick that worked for many people. Unfortunately, just about every transmission builder out there will tell you to not do it as it places way too much load on the torque converter clutch itself.

The first few times I tried it, it did help. Racing in the heat, it prolly slowed me down by 2 tenths. Because of the latter I quit doing this altogether. A few months later, I did toast the stock transmission and torque converter.

If the conditions are right and you need that extra tenth for a heads up win at the track, its probably OK every once in a while.