This day isn't going as planned!

DeltaBravo

Retired U.S. Army/Navy
Well....I fixed one thing, but now I've got two more problems one of which are my brakes. I decided to got over the vehicle and check torques, fluids and general condition and get everything ready for the Redlist event out in Bakersfield. Everything was going well until I notice my brake reservoir was leaking from the lid...:confused:...this would explain the burning transmission fluid smell I was noticing a stop lights and well as some suddle 'bumps' or feedback in the brake pedal. I removed the cap to investigate and found nothing unusual, cleaned and reinstalled cap.

Now by brake light is on and I have no power brakes....:(

what made matters worst is the second problem; I locked my only set of keys in the car...:mad:

I've done the locking of the keys more then once now I keep the spare in my wallet but unless you have the inflatable pillow they are really hard to get into my advice is to get a locksmith or I can give you another way that won't be pretty or very appealing

I've done the locking of the keys more then once now I keep the spare in my wallet but unless you have the inflatable pillow they are really hard to get into my advice is to get a locksmith or I can give you another way that won't be pretty or very appealing

I just got the old school wire coat hanger and 2 minutes later the door was unlocked. It always amazes me how easy it is to get inside these cars...without damaging and in less time than it takes to use the bathroom.

The brake problem might be a bigger one...

yah it is almost unnerving lol how easy it is and i wish i could help more with the brake problem i know its a recall this and needs to be replaced if it hasnt already so i would look into that

Are you still running the power master breaks??o_O
That's crazyness mad man status!! I had my power master in my WE-4 back in 2005 go out just as i pulled up to the driveway. I came an inch from hitting the iron gate... That brake booster is a crap shoot.

Are you still running the power master breaks??o_O
That's crazyness mad man status!! I had my power master in my WE-4 back in 2005 go out just as i pulled up to the driveway. I came an inch from hitting the iron gate... That brake booster is a crap shoot.

LOL...yea it is.

In the mean time any help troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Started out with an accessional brake light coming one when using the brakes, then disappearing after a couple of seconds. Also had a very slight 'feedback' in the brake pedal...almost felt like something was tapping on the brake pedal.

Recently I notice brake fluid leaking from the top of the reservoir on the engine side. I removed the cap and adjust the fluid level using the correct procedures for the power master system....I think I overfilled it on my last brake service.

After adjusting the fluid level and connecting everything, now my brake light is one steady with a very hard pedal. And I can not get the motor to turn on.

I've used the following link for troubleshooting
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/PwrMstr.html

Fuse is good, circuitry is good, brake fluid is good. As per the trouble shooting, the motor seems good as well as the pressure switch.

So, my question is...if it is the accumulator, then why wouldn't the motor work?

Thanks in advance.

The general concencus on the power master is to ditch it. I do know mine had the same symptoms as yours before it stopped working, thankfully in my driveway, basically.
If I were in that position I would go hydroboost and never look back, or if I didn't have the funds I would hit the junk yard and pick up a vacuume setup and pedal. We can go as fast as our hearts desire but when the brakes stop, the fun stops with them. Theres a brand new power master in the box on Craigslist, I think he's asking $1,500...

Heart goes out to you, sure would be great have a GN at Red List. What do you usually run?
If cash no problem, lot less problematic pay the $1500 for entire set up. Parts are available, problem figuring which one & locating the part. Rebuilt mine about 6-7 yrs ago no problem since. Suggest post it on general/national area for wider audience & should get lots hits. Sorry, hope can fix before 9th at Famoso.

Sorry, just read your other post; you don't list any internal mods so should be solid 12's. Have Lou slip in an ewe, I mean cam (smogable) & run low 12's. If able make it a video of you and Dank GN would be great. If don't think will happen perhaps can sell tickets as I think they're about all gone. G'luck DB.

I once had my brake switch fail from oil pushing through the switch diaphragm and fouled the weather pack terminals. no indications of oil leak till I pulled off the weather pack. used brake cleaner to clean out and test but quickly fouled again. ( wear safety glasses if you go to spray brake cleaner in this terminal. it will spray right back in your face)
replace switch if you find the same.
these should help too.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/PwrMstr.html
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/PwrMstr.gif
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/diagchart.gif

Well, I though I should get an update as to my brake issue.

Ordered a vacuum kit through Kirbans...Everything was as advertised and after a little paint, went right in. The replacement of the brake pedal was the most difficult, and as usual (after doing it the hard way first), I now know a couple of tricks that would turn that 3 hour process into something more like 30 mins...but hey, as I always say, "if something is worth doing once...might as well do it twice, or three times...or as many times as it takes to get it right".

But, It was an easy process and well worth it. I've been driving up and down freeways and street, put about 100 miles on this set up and everything works when I need it too. The pedal is noticeable more stiffer (requires more effort) than the previous PM set up but that's a reasonable trade off for the confidence in knowing my brakes will work when I need them too.

The vacuum system is way to go with the exception of now you won't be able to hold any boost at the starting line if you track the car. The power master created more brake pressure than the vacuum system. P.S. #1HOTROD has got a bad case of brain damage so just humor the poor guy :)

Heart goes out to you, sure would be great have a GN at Red List. What do you usually run?
If cash no problem, lot less problematic pay the $1500 for entire set up. Parts are available, problem figuring which one & locating the part. Rebuilt mine about 6-7 yrs ago no problem since. Suggest post it on general/national area for wider audience & should get lots hits. Sorry, hope can fix before 9th at Famoso.

So, I've never personally ran this car. However...according to one of the previous owner..."it's a low 12 second car all day". I didn't make it out to the race, but my ticket is still valid until the next one...so that's cool. Now, I just need a helmet, drive shaft hoop, and some slicks...$$$$...never ends, right?

I been there done that and have the t shirt. Smartest move I made in the 23 years I've had my gn. The power disaster is an engineering nightmare that is dangerous as hell. Never been so close to a deadly wreck when the pm. Took a sudden dump in heavy rush hour traffic. It now resides in. A landfill and a vacuum system now stops the gn . total cost under 100 bucks for the swap. No brainah.