Theft recovery title

MikeL.

Stay boosted my friends
Anyone have any experience with buying a car out of state plus "theft recovery" title? It's a daily driver that looks very clean but wondering if its more trouble than its worth being an out of state purchase.

Ohio buyer, car is listed in jersey.

Shouldn't be a big deal with proper documentation.... But if you buy it you own it. Makes for a extremely hard sell .

does it still have the factory VIN, or did the state issue a different one for it?
that's probably the most important aspect of this..

If its a different Vin call your insurance company before you buy it. I think there is a difference what they will pay if car is stolen or totaled after you own it.Cya on this one for sure.good luck

The buyer should first check with the MVD in Ohio to find out their procedure and requirements for registering a salvage title car.

Personally, I would want a copy of the NJ title document when making that visit. :)

There's an old post where someone bought a "theft/salvage" titled car off evilbay and how much BS he had to go through. The car wasn't as advertised to say the least and it took him quite some time to get restitution. NJ has some very specific laws about this and the raghead that sold the car got caught and nailed to the wall. This took almost a year and the buyer had to fly from the midwest to NJ several times until the courts finally gave in and agreed with the buyer.;)

I'm in the same situation when my car was stolen. When the POS thieving bastards stole my car, they re-vin'd it. The VIN on the dash was removed along with Federal Door Sticker and trunk RPO sticker. NJ wants to give me a salvage title but refuse. The car was never parted out nor totaled. I spoke with DMV and insurance company and neither know what to do. My insurance left my claim open until there is a remedy. I told my insurance if I get issued a salvage or rebuilt title, the value of my car drops. The insurance company stated that my car doesn't fit that criteria.

Everyday I wish them and slow painful death and every time I think about this re-vin, it get my blood boiling.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

These are the times you start looking for a decent roller and transfer all your good parts over onto it. Alot simpler in the end. They are out there. Then scrap the one with the ugly paperwork. Scrap yards don't care whether they crush a salvage title or not, just as long as you can show them you own it.

These are the times you start looking for a decent roller and transfer all your good parts over onto it. Alot simpler in the end. They are out there. Then scrap the one with the ugly paperwork. Scrap yards don't care whether they crush a salvage title or not, just as long as you can show them you own it.

lmao.... i didnt even know scrap yard required that.... most (here) just take it as they see it....... smoosh!

Yeah, it's all changed. So much metal theft and scams, they won't take untitled whole cars anymore, even rusty hulks.

Some good points mentioned above. Here is the main thing every state has different looking titles and different rules regarding various notes salvage or reconstructed and deaths. Some states even the lein release looks exactly like a title and if you only have the one piece of paper you may never get it registered in your state. One state after a car is 25 years old don't even need a title to register it but take that car to another state and try it with no title you'll never get it registered.

Seller dies you better have an original death certificate not a copy to go with the title otherwise again you may be out of luck in your state.

I know from experience having bought and sold over 300 turbo regals of them. Don;t matter what state the seller is in your concern is with the state you reside in and register the car in. Years ago laws were not always as strict. I just read I think in Minnesota when a car is over a certain age no title is required to scrap it....so it basically means if you don't like your neighbor and he has a junker on his property you can have it hauled away as if you own it and get the scrap value.

hope I answered your question at some point.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Yes by the way a salvage or reconstructed title notation is basically the "kiss of death" as far as value goes. Maybe not while you own it but certainily becomes true when you try and sell it.

regarding the MN title thing that Dennis mentioned: you need to have a title for any vehicle you claim as yours.. doesn't matter if it's a year old or 100 years old- they all get issued the same title.. the state wants to know when vehicles are scrapped out, but i think all they need is a VIN number from the scrapyard and not the actual title.. some scrap yards won't take a car without a title, some don't even ask for one... it just varies..

I bought a car from a friend in NJ , he bought it from another guy in NJ , the Title doesnt say salvage but when I register the car in NY DMV gave me the registration and all but 2 month later they sent me a letter saying my car is a salvage car and they want to go thru inspecttion again by there own state inspection station. I didnt follow thru cuz there's alot of money in the motor and add on I was afraid if they find anything stolen in the car they might impound the car so I part out the car

I'm in the same situation when my car was stolen. When the POS thieving bastards stole my car, they re-vin'd it. The VIN on the dash was removed along with Federal Door Sticker and trunk RPO sticker. NJ wants to give me a salvage title but refuse. The car was never parted out nor totaled. I spoke with DMV and insurance company and neither know what to do. My insurance left my claim open until there is a remedy. I told my insurance if I get issued a salvage or rebuilt title, the value of my car drops. The insurance company stated that my car doesn't fit that criteria.

Everyday I wish them and slow painful death and every time I think about this re-vin, it get my blood boiling.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

hey Billy,
cant NJ just re-issue you a the same VIN? I bought a 91 S-10 years ago it was a theft recovery, when it was stolen they pulled the original VIN and such, years later its was recovered by CHP, i bought it off the insurance, when i picked it up from the tow yard, it had a CA blue tag issued by CHP by the door striker with its original VIN and CHP had removed the false VIN from dash (so no dash VIN), since they were able to verify the trucks true identity from the hidden VINs

hope you can get this figured out

Dave