The Right Stuff best for rear seal?

TurboGN

I'm about to change the rear main seal and have been told The Right Stuff is superior to RTV. Is this correct? Is there a certain color/type that's best? Thanks

Take any can of RTV you have and throw it in the trash. Never buy any ever again. The right stuff is the only silicone type sealant you should use. It will never lose bond because of oil or heat. When it dries, it becomes like a strip of rubber on a tire. Real strong, yet pliable. Loctite makes their own version which works just as well. Called 598 Black...gasket maker. Been using this stuff for a few years and have been pushing it like mad since I first used it. Nothing compares.

Right Stuff and Ultra-Black are the ultimate sealers. Never had a leak when using that stuff on surfaces that are supposed to have sealer on them. Use it in the rear main cavities and where the front cover and rear main meet the block (very thin smear) for the pan, just use a dry thick cork gasket that some of the vendors sell.
If you get a rubber Fel-pro pan gasket, make sure there is obsolutely no oil on any surface, wipe it 1000 times with carb cleaner or equivalent...and do not over tighten any nuts or the rubber will leak....but I'd get the cork one if you can wait to get it from a vendor.

Tie the gasket to the pan in several places with some light string..that will help keep it in place while putting the pan back up...the rear you'll have to leave in the pan till its up then reach in a pull it out...unless the motor is out or the tranny is not bolted up. Once you get a few bolts strarted/threaded on, cut the string and remove the ties/string.