The great debate Hydro vs Vaccum

Place your vote for the situation that best describes your experience

• I have vacuum and have NEVER had lack of assist

• I have vacuum and HAVE had occasional lack of assist

• I have hydroboost and have NEVER had a problem with assist.

• I have hydroboost and HAVE had problems with assist (any type of problem)

• I've got a perfectly fine, working PowerMaster system and don't give a rats ass :)

• My PowerMaster system sucks, and i've just about crashed my car

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tori

Still on the fence of which to switch to.
- Here are my concerns:
VACUUM:
I hear some say you won't have assist with a vacuum set up if you quickly go from a boost situation to brakes, while others say they've never had a problem. Some say only buy the larger 11" vac. booster.

HYDROBOOST: Some point out you're wasting HP with the extra load on the PS pump, and the other issue is that if you have a belt failure, or loose one of the other accessories, you loose assist, plus it's just that many more areas for a potential fluid leak.

I have the Kirbans vacuum set up that I'm going to be installing on my restore. If money starts growing on trees I will get the hydra-tech system.
Hydro-boost will hold a hell of a lot more pressure that vacuum. The only thing that sucks with the hydro boost is if the shaft in the pump breaks you loose both steering and brakes at least with vacuum you will still be able to steer . There have both been around for a long time. My Dads 96 diesel suburban has 190k and never had a problem with the hydro boost.
If money is no issue get the hydratech set up if not go vacuum. The problem master is out thats for sure.

Have had vacuum brakes on my GN since it had 10k on it. Converted after hearing too many horror stories about PM failures including a local friend how had it happen on his low mileage GN. Hydroboost may work well but sure is ugly looking and too many more potential leak areas. Are cars have enough already!

I have the Kirbans vacuum set up that I'm going to be installing on my restore. If money starts growing on trees I will get the hydra-tech system.
Hydro-boost will hold a hell of a lot more pressure that vacuum. The only thing that sucks with the hydro boost is if the shaft in the pump breaks you loose both steering and brakes at least with vacuum you will still be able to steer . There have both been around for a long time. My Dads 96 diesel suburban has 190k and never had a problem with the hydro boost.
If money is no issue get the hydratech set up if not go vacuum. The problem master is out thats for sure.
The shaft breaking? Really? I've been into cars for quite a while an I've never heard of that happening, not to say it couldn't. Chuckin a belt or a tensioner pulley, I've had it happen(in our suburban). No power assist but you can still steer and still brake, just like back when cars were not quite as fancy.

I like hydroboost. I thought if it is good enough for the factory to use in 84-85 it is good enough for me, so that's what I put on mine for a little over $200.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yes, it is possibe the pump shaft (that the pulley is pressed on to) can break.

Possible yes, but have you seen it happen?
By that logic a tire could loose pressure and affect braking, and I'm fairly certain the probability is greater for the tire failure. I would think a master cylinder would fail before a shaft on a power steering pump. I've had mc fail over the years.

Last edited:
Not on a GN but I have seen it in other GM vehicles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Gm had problems with pumps all through the 90's. When I worked for chevy I was driving a bread truck "P chassis" with a 6.5 diesel when the shaft in the pump failed. I dont care how strong you are That truck is not stopping or steering easily .I about shit myself. That was the fist time that happened to me. You obviously dont have a diesel suburban. because its the same when the pump module fails and shuts down lift pump and injection pump. I have a 2500 suburban in my driveway as we speak that does this. Its scary .I have never been in a car with hydro boost system when it failed so I cant say how hard it would be to control. Hydro boost is better than vacuum for breaking power but vacuum is cheap. I have the vacuum set up already otherwise I would spend the cash and get the hydra tech set up. As which system do I prefer .I would take either as long as its not the power master set up.lol

My burb is a BBC , when it had the tensioner pulley failed you have no ps or pb. It is a k2500 so pretty much same situation. I keep an eye on the belt and idler and tensioner pulleys now and they get a regular replacement as they are cheap.

Bought my vacuum parts today. Install next week. Thanks for everyone's input.

I'm pretty happy with my vacuum brakes my only problem was I got ahold of a couple bad boosters what's the chances of that third time was a charm happy now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also very happy with the vacuum brakes. Car has a 212/212 cam with 6262 turbo. No issues with low vacuum. Car stops straight and quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vacuum gets the job done, no more brake problems in the GN. The power disaster was a never ending headache that almost got me killed. My only regret is I didn't make the swap years ago.

Hydra boost has been used on Diesel trucks for years , it works great , and stops very well , I think it is just a matter of what your preference is , I have a diesel truck , and have had many over the years, the hydra boost has always worked great ! and remember these stop serious loads that , that vacuum just cannot do .
For me , I will be doing the hydra boost on my GN ,, because my experience with it has been good , and reliable , and they do not leak if installed properly like anything else .

Cool! Now if I see you in the rearview mirror and your faster than me, I know you'll be able to stop!
How would you see him in YOUR rear view mirror? when your car is couple thousand miles from you!
Troy...... you need to drink a better quality whiskey !!!!!! LOL

Just installed a vacuum brake setup yesterday..Brakes feel awesome..Just my 2 cents..

Attachments

• 1412097363192.jpg
    1412097363192.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 1412097377484.jpg
    1412097377484.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 144
How would you see him in YOUR rear view mirror? when your car is couple thousand miles from you!
Troy...... you need to drink a better quality whiskey !!!!!! LOL
Cruzn, I'll get to look in that mirror again someday!:D