th400 or 200r4?

8587GN

I`ve been debating this for quite soom time now. Do I go with a billet built 200r4 by Janis [akron,OH area] or th400.I`m building a combo to run low 10s,but you never know when the bug will hit to go faster.I want a reliable trans that will LAST from some low 10sec blasts.I really dont care about overdrive on this car I`m building,so that isnt a factor.I want a reliable trans that will live without pulling it out for a rebuild after a few passes. A 200r4 will cost mega$$ to get that level of performance but how long can it live? th400 are proven,so I`m in this delema.Any comments or info is greatly apprecieted.

Keith

you can build a bullet proof TH-400 for much less than a 2004R....that said, you will be giving up a lot of "streetability" particularly if you want a trans brake....the manual reverse valve body & brake in a 400 are no fun on the street, but outstanding at the track!

I cannot imagine that a low 10 sec car is very streeable anyhow...even mine is marginal

Keith,
I have a TH400 in my Buick and haven't had a problem in over two years. I do have a t-brake so you will have to shift all the time but you'll get used to it. In my opinion go with the TH400. The less time and money you need to spend on your tranny can be spent somewhere else.

Jason Smith

trans

TH400 is waaaaay cheaper to build for that application. u won't lose any street-ability. just my opinion...

John C.
G.M.
Platinum Motorsports
"Any tires/rims @ discount wholesale prices"
- for Turbobuick members only.

200 VS 400

Given the need to go 10 oh's and faster, and after 3 200's w/ ALOT of bucks in them, it was 400 time!!:D
I have a 400 w/ t. brake and use a B&M PRO RATCHET shifter.
This combo is KILLER on the street and track, as I have setup a micro on the shifter to trigger a INNOVATIVE digital, programmable boost controller.;) This allows me to select the boost for each gear and to choose the rate of boost rise too. A GREAT feature for street blasts where the boost in first is near zero w/ street tires, and 3rd gear boost is 20+ psi.:eek: [ That scares the crap outta the moostwang boys when the tires spin at 50+ mph!!]
An added feature I've put in is the retention of the column lock and OEM neutral start sw. I did this by cutting the new shift bellcrank and the 200 crank to make 1 that retains the linkage to the column. [Kinda slick for an old geezer!!:D]

I still use the 3.42 gear and make enough power low down to run 1.40 short times @ 3700#, so the 2.48 low gear doesn't seem to hinder the low speed accel.:D [8psi leave]

BOTTOM LINE!! Spring for the T-400 and leave the 200 for the 11/12 sec cars.

Back to working on some 1.30 short times and 140 mph!!:confused:

Happy holidayz!!!

Thanksguys!!!!.I was leaning towards a 400[for reliabuility]. I`ve got about $1300 in my 200r4 in the87 and its fine BUT my tranny guy said dont push it further than low 11s.

Hey Jason hows it going,I`ll have to give you a call to talk combos. I`m trying to duplicate Janes combo.

Keith

Keith,
Everyting is going good. My car is away having the rearend and suspension done. Should be ready by Spring. Call me anytime.

Jason