TH400 converter questions

sprayed65

Just curious as to where everyone with a 400 got their converter at and the price if you don't mind sharing...

My th400 is finished at the transmission shop and Im going to pick it up today, need to get a converter and start figuring some of the small stuff out.

Secondly, if there is no electronic lockup or anything then is it imperative that the speedometer be working correctly? I would like to hook this transmission up and go for a cruise even with the speedometer not working. I assume that the only thing the computer used it for was controlling the 200r4??

6PacktoGo said:
Call ATI Performance Products. They make some killer 400 converters.

How would someone get a hold of them?

I'm thinking about just calling TCI tomorrow...

We've been working with PTC on T350 and 400 converters for GN applications and are now set up as dealers for them. If your interested I'll PM you my #

Dusty Bradford said:
We've been working with PTC on T350 and 400 converters for GN applications and are now set up as dealers for them. If your interested I'll PM you my #

Give Dusty a shot, you will get a custom converter at an off the shelf price.
The PTC stuff seems to be working very well.

FYI:
The Neal Chance and Protorque are also good choices.

As far as money you are probably looking at $900 to $1200 for a good weld together race converter. Don't bother getting a converter from someone that does not have a lot of turbo exp. The converter is one of the most critical items on a turbo combination.

BTW: about 8 years ago I bought a 8inch race Art Car for $800.

We have some "killer" Hughes converters working well at low 9's so far in full bodied Regals! :)

Hughes and I have worked together for years on turbo converters for street GN's to full race versions, and have LOTS of data to get right on, or very close, the first time.

I called hughes and the guy I was talking to said I need to get an adapter plate or another flywheel for the converter to work since the 3.8 never came with a th400...anyone have any info on this?

sprayed65 said:
I called hughes and the guy I was talking to said I need to get an adapter plate or another flywheel for the converter to work since the 3.8 never came with a th400...anyone have any info on this?

My 10" Convertor is from Trans Specialties and bolted right in. The flexplate is drilled for large and small bolt pattern convertors.

Mine is actually a bit tight in my car... It's a $1400 10" Caddy convertor originally made for a nitrous-fed 555BBC in a Chevelle. :D

http://www.transmission-specialties.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_46

If its driven on the street alot i would go with a switch pitch converter 2000-4200 , so you can hve best of both worlds. They are reliable to 800 hp im told.

You'll probably have to drill out the holes in your flywheel to a larger size. It's not a big deal.

$1100 gets you a 2000+hp capable unit and we have enough data to get the converter very close on the first try. This is not off the shelf but built to meet the combination of needs that a turbo V6 requires. Build time is usually around 4-5 days.

Dusty Bradford said:
You'll probably have to drill out the holes in your flywheel to a larger size. It's not a big deal.

$1100 gets you a 2000+hp capable unit and we have enough data to get the converter very close on the first try. This is not off the shelf but built to meet the combination of needs that a turbo V6 requires. Build time is usually around 4-5 days.

Dusty,

Tell them about the bolt together option please.

Well you can bolt them together, and take them apart in about 4 hours but i rather put a switch on my trans brake and a timer, its alot less work :rolleyes:

norbs said:
Well you can bolt them together, and take them apart in about 4 hours but i rather put a switch on my trans brake and a timer, its alot less work :rolleyes:

Norb,

The advantage of the bolt together is being able to tune the converter.
Chris Chow has changed his stator twice and he has not had to send it back yet. For some people it is not worth the extra cost. I would bet a switch pitch would not spool a big twin turbos and be tight enough for less than 8% slip on the top end.

john w, i got the glide going for mile f. and i believe he is leaving for orlando tomorrow.i hope 1700 plus hp they can get that car down the track straight.im not worried about the glide im sure itll work out.

chris718 said:
john w, i got the glide going for mile f. and i believe he is leaving for orlando tomorrow.i hope 1700 plus hp they can get that car down the track straight.im not worried about the glide im sure itll work out.

Chris,

He and Al left at 7:00 p.m. your time.
I gave you some props on the thread in the lounge.
Take a look when you get a chance.

I talked with Nick today on the phone and he is helping me out on this subject with a used ATI converter. I've got my transmission at the house now and I can't wait to get it in the car and try it out.

Is it imperative that the speed sensor get hooked up right away?

Just like Neal Chance, PTC offers a bolt together option. It's probably overkill for anyone who doesn't plan to swap converters at the track. For cars with lots of power sometimes a converter change is required to meet track conditions. A proper converter doesn't need a switch. If it works for some that's great. By changing different parts of the converter your self you can find exactly what works for you. For instance a converter that keeps the motor in it's sweet spot, only drops 200rpm on the shift yet slips only 12%...

I do like the VSC stuff for small motors with big turbos