th2004r

my406cid

Good evening. I need some help please.I have a 87 regal with a 97 vortec engine carbed,gm hot cam(218,228 @.050 .525 i&e,2004r trans with 3.42 rear gears.i had a local place go thru this trans.i dont know what it came out of but it has a few what i beleive to be calibration problems.when warm,it will under very light throttle do a 1,2,1,2 shift very quickly. at interstate speeds,if u want to speed up from say 70 to 75,the trans will go to third under very light throttle and a intentional 4th to 2nd down shift will get you 3rd instantly followed by 2nd 5 to 8 sec later.the faster you go the easier it will come out of 4th.i have adjusted and replaced the tv cable with no solution to the problem.need a direction to go to get solved.seems to bee a valve body problem to me but im not a trans guy.the shift are not soft or slow.all trans functions are firm in action.all shift are neck snapping firm at wot.i have a 1800 stall converter and 26.7" tires.thanks to anyone that can help.

DO you know which valve body you are using? Might(probably) is one of the lower performance ones and it is having trouble when PAH(power) is being inserted.

Not sure which direction to recommend. A higher performance VB would be my first mod. Then a Shift kit like the CK one or from one of the other vendors who knows how to build one.

No I don't. I ordered a new governed from bow tie is that is opposed to raise the shift points to mcss specs.1 click of he cable at tis point changes shift points 3 to 500 rpm.so I fig a governed may help.when I drop the pan I'll try to get code if there is one off vb

Thanks to all that replyed.installed a governor from bow tie overdrives and cured my shifting problems. Added a 2500 stall to now I love the was it shifts.firm but not harsh.shifts at 5300 I have to shift it at 6k but I cam live with that.