Testing Wires

rhunt

The radio in my GN is dead..I don't think it is getting any power. Can you guys tell me how to test a wire to see if there is power coming to the radio? I have a continuity tester but no volt meter. If I buy a volt meter can you guys tell me exactly how to test the wires so I can tell whether the problem is no power to the radio or that the radio is bad?

TIA

Roger

You may want to check the fuse at the fuse panel to see if it is good or bad first.

Set the meter to read Voltage DC with a range to cover 0-20 or so VDC.
Then connect the red lead to the bare or connector end of the wire you want to check and the black probe or lead from meter to a good ground on the car. Then turn the ignition switch on the car to "on".

Gary

Testing

Gary:

Thanks. Checked the fuse and its fine. I just don't think the radio is getting any power. I'll get a meter and check the wires. What about the other wires I think one is for the light which is connected to other lights in the series and there is a black wire which I haven't figured out yet.

Thanks

Roger

Stock or Aftermarket?

Is the radio stock, or is in an aftermarket unit? There may be more fuses to worry about with an aftermarket head unit than the fusebox. Rather than getting a voltmeter, you can also use a cheap test light. One end to the wire, the other to ground just as black car suggested. Rather than reading volts, it will light up with the ign switch turned on. If it doesn't , you need to follow the wire in question to its source, looking for other fuses or possible wire taps in other circuits that may have blown other fuses or bad connections.

As I recall, the factory units had a problem with the power switch on the radio, so if it is a stock radio, this may be a possibility if you confirm power at the wiring is OK.

The black wire may be a ground. Use a known 12v source and connect the other end of your test light/meter to your mystery black wire. If you read volts, it must be a ground! If no volts, try every ign switch position. If still no volts, do the same thing but with a known ground.

Good Luck!

Testing

6=8

Thanks for the information. The radio is a Delco replacement. I assume by a test light you mean a light with a clip on one end and a needle like probe on the other end with a battery inside the unit. I'm just terrible about electricty. What I know about it could fit on a gum wrapper with room to spare. I'll try your suggestions. Thanks again.

Roger