Tear down

TrboHead

I plan on freshining up my 200R with a new band and clutches and wondered if I should replace any seals unless I had to. I bought a paper seal kit anyway but half the time I don't use any. My tranny has been working fine for the last 2 years of abuse but will be changing Converters and wanted to throw in some new friction material while I have it down.
I didn't want to get carried away since everything is working great.
Or should I not worry unless I have a problem later. :biggrin:

be sure to have a copy of our 200 page manual on hand during the procedure.soft plyable lip seals can be re used if you are certain they were recently replaced .if not start with new so you have an idea of where to look if problems arise.

Well I noticed a dark center on my band but the drum surface looked ok. Also my apply seal was torn on the servo. I'm assuming this was the cause of the band discoloring. It still grabed ok but good thing I tore it down.

Forward clutches 4 of them looked black along with shinny steels. If I know I had good pressure before tear down then could I have another problem? Seals or something specific to check? :confused: Clearance was 70 thou.

BTW the Direct Clutches looked like new I could have reused them. No discoloring at all. Colene Steels looked ok too.

Very surprised that I had nothing in the bottom of the pan that sparkled in the light if you know what I mean. Only slight coating of dark stuff. I have run well over 30 hard passes along with a ton of street miles since last rebuild. :D

My $.02:

.070" is not too much clearance on the Forward clutch, especially for being used. I've seen some doozies used in some transmissions! :rolleyes:

Make sure the Center Support doesn't have any grooves where the Input shaft & its rings ride. I would replace the rubber seal on that Forward clutch just to be safe at this point.

And replace the input shaft sealing rings, and make sure the front end play is OK.