TE44 vs. TA49

ksmmspt

Hi,
I'm looking to add one of the above turbos to my current setup which is stock injectors (I plan to add 009s), ATR 3" DP and exhaust (no cat). I'm adding a big mouth cold air kit and using the stock MAF. Which one of these turbos is the best choice? I plan on driving the car on weekends for pleasure with a trip here and there to the track. Thanks

EXACTLY the question I need answered.....

I can't wait to see the responses.
I will install a Terry Houston at the point I decide which turbo to use.
My present combo is in my signature below.

I'll watch this post.

Thanks, Scott.
Bill

For all intent and purposes, these turbos are the same performance wise. You only need to decide if you want the stock appearance (TA49) or non stock appearance (TE44). The TE44 uses an intergrated inlet while the TA49 uses the stock type inlet bell.

You can also do a search since this is one of those topics that has almost been beaten to death.

Probably asked the most disputed question.

I've had both. Both are great.

Only choice I did make was I liked that stealthed look.

So it was a 49 for me. But it is so personel. Hope you do get one.

They are fun especially if you are driving most of the time.

HTHed..............Rob

Let's see, 44 and 49 = 93. That's about how many different responses you will get.

It's all a matter of opinion, IMHO ;)

There are those that say they are identical for all intents and purposes. Sort of, but they have completely different compressor housings, designed to work at different levels of efficiency.

They aren't the same in my book. I could be talking out of my hat, but I own both. One's on my 86 and the other's on my 87. Not the same cars, yes, BUT, both turbos have spent a couple years on the same car (the 86). And therefore I can say with at least a small amount of knowledge that the 49 isn't quite the same turbo as the 44. Don't get me wrong, the 49 is a great turbo, in it's niche. It loves life on my 87.
But it just isn't the HIGH BOOST, BIG END PULLER that the 44 is on my 86.

For your usage you would be just as happy with either. Do you want the stock look of the 49? Also one more point. The 49 will hold a stock unmodified wastegate actuator. The 44 requires a special mount welded to the stock actuator, because of the larger housing.

Thanks for the input. I was under the impression that both were direct stock replacement turbos and could use the modified turbo shield and stock wastegate. I definitely want to keep the stock appearance and add a DC tech shield. Since they are very close, I'll probably go with the 49. If I'm wrong on my assumptions, please correct me. Thanks

Sounds like the 49 for me.....

From what I've been reading here and hearing, the 49 fits me to a tee.
Stealth look, good fit.

Thanks to all who replied,
Bill

"Stock" appearing is the biggest misconception when it comes to these turbo's. Only the "informed" turbo Buick crowd will know what to look for when looking for differences. The only difference in appearance would be the inlet bell and most people will not notice it.

I would go with the 44. It will accept the stock shield and appear stock to most. One of the advantages of the integrated inlet bell is you gain some clearance for the connector on your IAC.

I ran the 49 on my car for a while and yes it was a good turbo, however my friend is running the 44 (with the same combo I had at the time) and I feel his turbo spools quicker (than mine did) and makes more power in the higher boost range.

HTH....Bill

Originally posted by billsgn
"Stock" appearing is the biggest misconception when it comes to these turbo's. Only the "informed" turbo Buick crowd will know what to look for when looking for differences. The only difference in appearance would be the inlet bell and most people will not notice it.

Well, not exactly. The compressor housings on the two turbo's are completely different, not just the inlet bell.

I would go with the 44. It will accept the stock shield and appear stock to most. One of the advantages of the integrated inlet bell is you gain some clearance for the connector on your IAC.

True, the stock heat shield will work perfectly on either turbo.

I ran the 49 on my car for a while and yes it was a good turbo, however my friend is running the 44 (with the same combo I had at the time) and I feel his turbo spools quicker (than mine did) and makes more power in the higher boost range.

HTH....Bill

Dave, yes the compressor housings are different, but not noticeably. As I mentioned in my previous post, only a select few will notice that the turbo is "not stock".

Anybody have any problems running a big mouth cold air kit on a TE44 with the integrated inlet bell? Thanks

I run the Big Mouth cold air kit on my car with a PTE-54 turbo which has the same integrated inlet bell and it fits perfectly.