Te44 v te60

turbo luver

Hi
Undecided what turbo to go with (TE44/TE60) and would like the boards input on advantages and disadvantages of both turbo’s
I would like the car to stay very streetable and was leaning more to a 44. I have a basically stock motor and stock trans, both fresh. I have a LS1 3.5 MAF, Gen 2 translator, scanmaster . stock down pipe and unknown dual exhaust (exhaust will be changed on my next upgrade list). I will be purchasing 60# injectors and the proper chip to go with the turbo. Hot wire kit and a 355 walbro pump.
Thank in advance for your help

Either one will work. Not much of a difference in power. The 60 has the same exhaust wheel, but a 59mm compressor wheel vs a 58mm of the 44.

I have had a 44 on my GN since 1998 and love it with blue tops a THDP reworked d-5 convertor runs 11.80s easily best 11.69 with a stock IC

I really loved the sound of the spool up on my old TE-60 and was using a 2800 stall....If you have a stock converter I would go with a 44

I really loved the sound of the spool up on my old TE-60 and was using a 2800 stall....If you have a stock converter I would go with a 44

x2, I ran my 44 all last year with a stock stall and still wasn't happy with the spool. I have a converter now and the 44 spools just like a stock TR. I'll go bigger some day, but imo, it's a perfect combo right now. I have no experience with the 60 and will get a 6262S journal next go around.

If the prices are really similar I'd go TE60 with a manual boost controller.

The two of them spool exactly the same if they have the same ex housing. I've never seen someone pick up power swapping from a 44 to a 60. I doubt the 60 would make anymore power unless you ran it for all it's worth. The extra power would likely be from it's ability to make slightly more boost when run hard. Up to 27psi/5400rpm there is no difference between the two. Keep in mind im referring to both running the 31 trim ex wheel. There are other variations out there.

In reality 80 % (probably more) folks put a turbo too big on their car or never run it where it shines or the size purchased is beneficial.

So many get hung up with "GT"", Billet", BB, "New", "Trim", etc etc.

Price is a kicker yes but "streetable" is where its at.

Boost response (time when your turbo starts making boost and ramping up quick) should weight the heaviest on your purchase influence IMO.

Whats your goal? A stock turbo may be all you need.

In reality 80 % (probably more) folks put a turbo too big on their car or never run it where it shines or the size purchased is beneficial.

Boost response (time when your turbo starts making boost and ramping up quick) should weight the heaviest on your purchase influence IMO.

Thanks everyone for all the replies

My goal is to keep the car reliable and steerable at reasonable cost. I bought the car with very low KM ( I live in Canada) The gentleman that owned it was 72. The car was not licensed for over ten years; he would let it idle in the driveway a couple times a year. About 5 years ago he took it for a rip up the street and it started smoking. In the spring he took out and let it idle in the driveway and he clams it was smoking really bad so he stripped the motor down to a short block and this is the way I purchased it.:confused:

I had the motor and transmission rebuilt, and before I spend the money on a rebuild for the turbo I think buying a new one might be the better answer and was wondering which one you gentle men felt was the better choice.

I don’t want a rocket ship at this point (I’m sure that will change) I just want a fun weekend worrier that doesn’t need a whole lot of attention.

Thanks Again for you help

Thanks everyone for all the replies

My goal is to keep the car reliable and steerable at reasonable cost. I bought the car with very low KM ( I live in Canada) The gentleman that owned it was 72. The car was not licensed for over ten years; he would let it idle in the driveway a couple times a year. About 5 years ago he took it for a rip up the street and it started smoking. In the spring he took out and let it idle in the driveway and he clams it was smoking really bad so he stripped the motor down to a short block and this is the way I purchased it.:confused:

I had the motor and transmission rebuilt, and before I spend the money on a rebuild for the turbo I think buying a new one might be the better answer and was wondering which one you gentle men felt was the better choice.

I don’t want a rocket ship at this point (I’m sure that will change) I just want a fun weekend worrier that doesn’t need a whole lot of attention.

Thanks Again for you help

You can't go wrong with the 44, I've been in plenty of these cars anywhere from stock turbo all the way up to 70GTQ and in my opinion for a car that is mostly street driven with a stock D5 or low stall converter the small turbos like the 44/49 are the most fun especially for the occasional stop light to stop light run!;):D

I agree with Turbo Nasty. My 5857 is an absolute blast to drive on the street.

Rob