TE-44 vs TE-60

Bowtie Mafia

I am trying to determine which turbo will work best for what I am trying to do. It will primarily be a street car. I already have a torque converter picked out. My target is mid 11s. I'm wondering what the advantages and disadvantages and main differences of those two turbos are. Thanks.

Both are going to produce the same performance and spool relatively the same on a stock cammed/headed turbo regal. The only advantage to a te 60 is its easier to get a higher hp turbo just swapping the turbine and having the housing cut for it. It quickly becomes a small shaft 60-1 aka TE62. Garretts names for the turbines and compressors are as follows: TE44-t04e 60 trim compressor/stage 3 high flow turbine, TE60-t04e 60-1 (small shaft) compressor, stage 3 high flow turbine, and the TE62 is a 60-1 compressor and 76 P trim turbine. There is also a 60-1 compressor/69 trim turbine aka TE61 or PT54. Even the GT35R compressor can be had easily with a t04e style turbo these days. All the compressor and turbines are very interchangeable in the t04e series. If the engine has heads and cam a larger compressor and higher flowing turbine will open up the mass flow potential a lot.

Cool, thanks. I'm currently in the middle of a rebuild and am installing a comp cams 218/218 and having the stock heads rebuilt, but having them bored a little. Will those mods make a difference of which turbo to choose?

I would not run a 218/218 with any of the small To4e turbos. 218/218 equals 9.60's. Thats what i run in my black car and it makes about 800hp. There are several 218 lobes out there and they all differ but not needed for anything close to stock. You will really need a 3000 stall at zero boost/vacuum and a the peak power on a 218 will occur around 5500. There is a lot fo gain with a larger turbine than a te44 or te60 has at that level.

I live in Salt Lake, so i'm really close to Jason Cramer and RJC Racing. I selected that cam and turbo on his recommendation.

I agree with Bison that the 218 can is not a good match for your build. Yes, it works for Jason with his 70 mm turbo and mid-9 sec build, but you will not be that RPM range or air flow to take advantage that cam's peak HP.

You have already selected a converter, generally a 44/49 and 60 will need different converters? At least that has been my experience with many similar builds.

At the converter/flywheel
I would estimate that you are about 640 - 660 RWHP based on 18% - 20% loss through drivetrain. Does that make sense? I am trying to estimate where my build will be. I have 218 cam (other specs in sig). Probably won't have on dyno until the Fall.

tonysmach said:
I would estimate that you are about 640 - 660 RWHP based on 18% - 20% loss through drivetrain. Does that make sense? I am trying to estimate where my build will be. I have 218 cam (other specs in sig). Probably won't have on dyno until the Fall.

It's less than 18% loss. It dynoed around 700whp.