talk to me about converting to roller cam

ryan319

i have two wiped lobes on a relatively fresh motor (5K) in my 86 GN. i'm assuming it's because of the agressive cam that was installed (218/218) and the possibility the previous owner didn't do the proper oil maintenance with the correct additives. i'm debating on whether i should convert to roller or try another FT cam. i've tried searching but can't seem to find what i'm looking for.

what is involved with converting to roller cam? can i use the stock rockers? are the kits that full throttle sells pretty much a straight forward install? what machining is required? is it worth the added expense?

i just need some more info on the process of installing a roller cam so i can weigh the pros and cons.

I could be wrong here but I believe the kit from full throttle is a drop in ready to go.....except for you needing new rockers........

I recently installed the 210/215 kit from FT in my 4.1 project. With that valve lift the exhaust guides need to be cut down and aftermarket exhaust valves and seals need to be used. They will advise you of this modification at FT if you ask about it.
MH

I recently installed the 210/215 kit from FT in my 4.1 project. With that valve lift the exhaust guides need to be cut down and aftermarket exhaust valves and seals need to be used. They will advise you of this modification at FT if you ask about it.
MH

that is the cam i would likely run. my heads were recently done with manley valves and new guides. i wonder how i'd have to measure these clearances?

FWIW, my heads that the previous owner had pro ported, had no difficulty with the 210/215 components from FT.

I swapped in the cam, lifters, springs and didn't do any further modifying to those stock ported heads. The main thing that I didn't get 100% right the first time was the pushrods, have to measure that to make sure you get your valvetrain geometry right. Otherwise, so far I've been ok on the stock rockers with RJC braces. I am, however, not comfortable with the stock rockers, I'd like to get those changed out this year before I head to the track again.

i actually just added some TA heavy duty rocker shafts because i thought the broken rocker shaft was my problem; turned out to be the cam.

why are you uncomfortable with the stock rockers? granted they will leave some power on the table but are they in some way unsafe or cause some risk?

i actually just added some TA heavy duty rocker shafts because i thought the broken rocker shaft was my problem; turned out to be the cam.

why are you uncomfortable with the stock rockers? granted they will leave some power on the table but are they in some way unsafe or cause some risk?

Well, there have been more than a few break, and I'd rather not have that happen. The stockers just don't feel all that sturdy to me. Add in the extra duty requirements with a largish roller and associated springs... it just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Maybe it is mostly in my head, but if I don't trust a certain part, then it wears on me every time I go down the track.

Besides added durability, the biggest benefit that I would love to have is individually adjustable valve lash. With the stock rockers, you have to set them all the same, it just doesn't feel precise.