Taillights won't turn off

Treminer21

Hello, I'm currently at work but my taillights won't turn off. Upon inspection of my brake I found a clip piece on the floor, does any one know where it goes? can you guys help me turn off my light before it kills my battery? Thank you

Attachments

• 1461756437997-1664074299.jpg
    1461756437997-1664074299.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
There is a sleeve that helps hold the brake switch on the bracket. It maybe stripped or cracked and pulled out. Put some masking or scotch tape or something around the switch to hold the button in the pushed in position. Then go to work. Deal with it later.

I believe the clip goes through the brake pedal nut as a safety so it won't fall off.

Maybe your pedal is loose and it's moved your brake switch out of position which is keeping the lights on.

As previously mentioned pull the lower plastic panel off and find the brake switch and put some duct tape over it to keep it pushed in and the lights will go off.

Then later do a thorough inspection of the pedal assembly and brake switch mounting area.

Hello, I'm currently at work but my taillights won't turn off. Upon inspection of my brake I found a clip piece on the floor, does any one know where it goes? can you guys help me turn off my light before it kills my battery? Thank you

That clip is used to retain the pedal push-rod, prevents it from coming off the pin. I would look into this before I drove the car again. Would be bad to lose the brakes...

RemoveBeforeFlight

That clip is used to retain the pedal push-rod, prevents it from coming off the pin. I would look into this before I drove the car again. Would be bad to lose the brakes...

RemoveBeforeFlight
I think you mean the cotter pin?

Going on recent memory, There is also a clip like split sleeve, bright silver. It expands a little when the brake switch is pushed into it. Helps hold the switch in the hole on the bracket. It's got cutter type thread ears in it. After a while, it strips the plastic threads on the switch shaft. Then the switch gets loose and wobbles. Then if the pedal is bounced up with your foot or something, it miss aligns it or pushes it out.

Sometimes the fix is a plastic wire tie pulled tight around the switch shaft on the pedal arm side.

Thank you guys for your replies. I got the plastic off and my brake pedal is really loose and barely making contact with the switch, do you guys know a fix for this?

What do you mean the pedal is loose?

Maybe you mean the pedal doesn't rise back up enough to contact the switch? Or do you mean it wobbles side to side?

The switch can be adjusted by allowing the pedal to freely return to its up position. Then just push the switch in so it makes just only enough contact to turn off the brake lights. That's it.

It moves from side to side
What does that clip look like that you found on your mat? Is it a cotter pin?

If so, it needs to go back in the pin hole on the peg that holds the Master Cylinder's push rod in place. Get on your back with your legs and ass up over the seat and look way up there with a flash light.

Or take the seat out and lay down. For me, this is the only way. I have a cage in my car. My seat comes out 5 times a year for this type of work. It sucks.