Ta Timing Chain

Could you please tell me what the part number is on your TA timing set. I think I'm going to go with that same one.

TA V1394 Timing Chain Damper (tensioner & spring)
TA V1522B High Performance Billet Timing set ( stock style chain) Even Fire

Don't forget a new set of oil pump gears & the gasket kit / shims to set oil pump gear to cover clearances.
New water pump while you're at it too.

Ok. Two dumb questions:
1. How do you degree a cam?
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages to advancing or retarding timing?

^^^ok but on a non adujustable setup (like the buick) how do you degree it?
I have always just went straight up with no issues...Id like to know

The idea behind degreeing the camshaft is to determine the actual specifications (as opposed to the assumed specifications that are provided on the cam card).

Adjusting the camshaft in relation to the crankshaft is an additional task. You may not need to do it. On more common platforms such as small block Chevrolet, there are offset cam bushings and offset crank keys available. These are intended to adjust cam timing. The smallest cam bushing available for common platforms is one degree. You would have to determine if there is an offset cam bushing or crank key that could be made to work with the Buick V6.

I searched the forum but did not find anyone talking about this.

^^^ok but on a non adujustable setup (like the buick) how do you degree it?
I have always just went straight up with no issues...Id like to know

With the TA timing set shown above, the crank gear has multiple keyways to advance or retard cam timing on a Buick engine.

The Rollmaster double roller timing set which TA sells also has the ability to change cam timing.

An "entry level" timing set for a Buick does not have this ability, nor do they have a steel cam gear like these sets do.

The cast gears will quickly wear down, like 3-5K miles, and allow too much chain stretch which will also change cam timing, especially in a roller cam installation when higher pressures than stock valve springs are used.

I have stock cam still. I'm just replacing my timing chain because stock was missing a tooth. can i just take off the stock and put new one on the same way. do i need to set it at TDC then put back on and degree it?

I have stock cam still. I'm just replacing my timing chain because stock was missing a tooth. can i just take off the stock and put new one on the same way. do i need to set it at TDC then put back on and degree it?

I see no need to degree if you're just replacing the chain set. Make sure your at TDC on the compression stroke, put the new chain on with the proper dots aligned. Now if you'd want to degree to verify your stock valvetrain is still to spec you could, but I had issues with the lifters bleeding down since I didn't have light springs to add just for degreeing purposes, but I was still able to get it close. Look up how to set your cam sensor when you're done too, and don't forget to get a new tensioner/dampner unless you're running a double roller. (don't run a tensioner with a double roller) Oh, and locktite those timing gear bolts. You can also get a pair of arp bolts for less than 10 bucks through a vendor or summit.

Most times we set the engine at #1 TDC by aligning the timing marks then install the new timing set. The dots on the timing gears to tell us that they are installed properly if we set #1 at TDC before installing the new timing set.

If you are talking about degreeing the cam, that's probably not necessary. This is done to determine if the camshaft is installed in the correct location relative to crankshaft rotation, and to check if it is made properly. The dots on your timing set will get you close enough. If you want to learn, degreeing the camshaft might be educational.