V-Band collector outlet

Weld on formed collector

Double-Slip Merge Collector

304 or 321 Stainless Steel

Turbo elbows

Custom wastegate location

Unlimited Header Primary Tube sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some damn nice headers! The flex in the crossover is an excellent idea. New turbo cars have them.

Those are some damn nice headers! The flex in the crossover is an excellent idea. New turbo cars have them.

I agree and if the manufacturers are using the flex then there has to be a reason.

I have to say that I was kind shocked at the price (given the quality of the product)! As I honestly expected them to be more! And to me it's worth the extra just to make sure you can avoid all these issues. I'm sure these folks would welcome any vendor opportunities as well (they said they would). So here's a chance for us all to win!

Oh and my understanding is that they go on totally problems free!!

I bought my TA headers about 4 years ago. I was really impressed with how nice they were. I mocked them up on my engine on the stand and I believe I could have not used gaskets. I will say that I was not sold on how they just weld the tubes on the inside. I had my friend tig the outsides of each tube when he installed the EGT bungs. I also noticed they use a mild steel on the flanges and not stainless like the tubes.
I would have to say that they have either changed who was welding them, or the supplier of the flanges. It's too damn expensive to ship them all over or I would fix them for you. That 0.023" of bow is a bit....but the set of Mopar headers I bought years ago for my Maxxie had 0.095" and only a 1/4" flange. I had to weld up around the ports and then machine them.

Good luck

There was a guy on here selling a long block with headers, Turbo, etc. and he had a very nice looking set of custom built headers SS 304 with thick flanges, etc.

So I contacted them, gave them the info and asked them how much for the headers. $1,350 is the quote and $750 for an atr style down pipe. Below are the headers and the link as well.

http://www.gpheaders.com

The note back from GP;

Hello Phillip,

Yes we can reproduce the same header as the set for Jim. The price for the entire system built out of stainless steel is $1350. We can also replicate a down pipe if you send in a sample. I would be able to give you a quote if you can send in a few pictures of the down pipe.

Thanks,

Kevin Pender

GP Headers Inc
#800-242-9157
#218-493-4251
19767 MN-34
Barnesville MN 56514

3c5c93bf1f582911c02a2d7d704c5818.jpg
59d81dc5c2489418049e87712ae31d0a.jpg

Love those! Looks very well build.

Hmm,interesting thread.i have the ta race headers on my car and I have a lot of time on them actually they haven't been off the car since I put them on.i did have to mill the flanges when I first got them,however I was pulling the stockers off and had them milled several times and tried several different gaskets and no gaskets to keep the seal that was a real pita,the ta headers solved that problem.i will say the best part of them is that I have no leaks and run no gaskets and they see a lot of abuse.im very happy with them and there are plenty of buick parts being sold out there that need special attention.milling the flanges is not a big deal inmo and there is plenty of material there to do so.those of you that log egts or run high egts will appreciate the extra material.

Mr Spool while I concur with much of what you said.........I have to disagree with "milling the flanges is no big deal"
Maybe for someone who works at a machine shop or has a bud who can do them on the cheap but, I had my DS flange machined a few yrs back and the bill was over $120. That was just the DS. If I forked out $1150 US for headers PLUS taxes and shipping..........the extra $250 additional to make them right IS a big deal to me.

Im with mr spool, bought mine bolted them on and havent had a problem in three years. Everyone seems to have problems with them,I guess i just got lucky.

Mr Spool while I concur with much of what you said.........I have to disagree with "milling the flanges is no big deal"
Maybe for someone who works at a machine shop or has a bud who can do them on the cheap but, I had my DS flange machined a few yrs back and the bill was over $120. That was just the DS. If I forked out $1150 US for headers PLUS taxes and shipping..........the extra $250 additional to make them right IS a big deal to me.
Agree. If someone has done this before AND has fixturing, it's not a big deal to mill them. It IS a big deal without fixturing though. The issue is not really the milling but the expectation created by the manufacturer and consumer?

So we need to ask ourselves; Why would a manufacturer expect you to do this anyway?

With respect milling the flange can be done easily, $250 is what's absurd;).its mild steel on the flange and can be done off the belt sander.these car can be a handfull and straightening the flanges to not deal with wear items like gaskets is a win win for mine as I value my time.some orange silicine and be done. I have 6years 20k with high boost levels and strong egts with a car that makes easy 9sec power so no I can't really say I'm unhappy with a little milling.

Agree. If someone has done this before AND has fixturing, it's not a big deal to mill them. It IS a big deal without fixturing though. The issue is not really the milling but the expectation created by the manufacturer and consumer?

So we need to ask ourselves; Why would a manufacturer expect you to do this anyway?
It's a race part not oem.and in then race world a lot of items like headers and exhaust are custom made for application

Ok maybe $250 is high........I'm in Canada so subtract 35% lol

But really my point is having to spend a dime is unacceptable IMO. We're not even taking into account ones own time running around for this

There is a story about a Japanese company that was making parts for a US company. The US company stated on the order that they wanted 98% quality.

The order was shipped with 2 parts seperated, and accompanied note;
Not sure why you want 2% defective parts but they are included in the shipment.

Before I sent mine back, I brought them to a engine shop in town to see if they could be belt sanded. There is no way they would fit on the sander. Milling would be the only way and that was too expensive so I sent them back.

It's a race part not oem.and in then race world a lot of items like headers and exhaust are custom made for application

I respectfully disagree... again this seems to be the norm for consumers to be complacent to ill produced parts and lack of quality and customer service ..

Sorry there is just no excuse on a $1200 set of headers .. Race or not .. and In all actuality a RACE piece should be even more stringent in quality control and robustness.

The key to this puzzle is to make the manufacturer aware and force some change .. Ive mentioned before there are fabricators that will far exceed the TA stuff in quality for the same price .. now its our turn to bring that to the table ... TA can adapt or die . We shouldn't accept poor quality just because ... and they certainly aren't the only game in town

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree... again this seems to be the norm for consumers to be complacent to ill produced parts and lack of quality and customer service ..

Sorry there is just no excuse on a $1200 set of headers .. Race or not .. and In all actuality a RACE piece should be even more stringent in quality control and robustness.

The key to this puzzle is to make the manufacturer aware and force some change .. Ive mentioned before there are fabricators that will far exceed the TA stuff in quality for the same price .. now its our turn to bring that to the table ... TA can adapt or die . We shouldn't accept poor quality just because ... and they certainly aren't the only game in town
Ok we will agree to disagree then:Dnothing is perfect and will ever be im not saying that perfect parts wouldn't be nice it's just not a reality.i have seen a lot of parts that are fabricated for specific cars from race to show winning stuff and it's a lot of work to get everything right and is usually someone is going way above and beyond,that's what separates custom from the assembly line stuff.the price stuff is what someone is willing to do the work for,the materials are not where the real cost is.

Ok we will agree to disagree then:Dnothing is perfect and will ever be im not saying that perfect parts wouldn't be nice it's just not a reality.i have seen a lot of parts that are fabricated for specific cars from race to show winning stuff and it's a lot of work to get everything right and is usually someone is going way above and beyond,that's what separates custom from the assembly line stuff.the price stuff is what someone is willing to do the work for,the materials are not where the real cost is.

Hehehehe ... there is NOTHING WRONG with holding people accountable for quality ... I'm pretty sure that the guys on here that are dropping $1200 on headers wont be opposed to waiting an extra week for perfect fitment, or spending an extra $100 to have a PERFECT set of headers that have been jig / fixture tested and are truly bolt on.

We as consumers need to set those expectations ... if vendors won't listen it's just a matter of time before alternate solutions are found ... there is FAR too many fabricators out there now that are itching to pull the trigger on any work ..

I'm working on something now that I think may be useful for many buick guys on here .. just waiting on admin approval :)

Hehehehe ... there is NOTHING WRONG with holding people accountable for quality ... I'm pretty sure that the guys on here that are dropping $1200 on headers wont be opposed to waiting an extra week for perfect fitment, or spending an extra $100 to have a PERFECT set of headers that have been jig / fixture tested and are truly bolt on.

We as consumers need to set those expectations ... if vendors won't listen it's just a matter of time before alternate solutions are found ... there is FAR too many fabricators out there now that are itching to pull the trigger on any work ..

I'm working on something now that I think may be useful for many buick guys on here .. just waiting on admin approval :)
Would be cool for our small community to see real bolt on stuff I do agree many parts lead into the cascade/snowball direction if others have a real solution I know where I would get my parts:D

I know for a fact that the quality issue is the result of a inferior process. This can all be resolved if someone cares enough to focus on it.

One set I cut the flanges off and welded on new. I also cut off the cheap v band flanges and installed a pair that required no gaskets. A flexible bellows would be ideal in the middle of the crossover. I will be doing this on future header installs. Properly installing a set of aftermarket headers costs as much as the headers with all the re-working