t-type -gn

are you positive on this, as in like the parts have different gm numbers, or did someone put the after market aluminum ones on, because i never knew that they were aluminum, i always thought that they were steel, i have the aluminum ones on my gn, but i dont own a t-type so i wouldnt know.
,dan

It does seem bass-ackwards, doesn't it. Probably some marketing ploy that saved GM money on the higher priced, high prod# GN. Add in, why use steel wheels on the later GN's?

Could be. :wink: My "86 T-Type has the alum. bumper supports and alum. rear drums and the alum. rims which by themselves save almost 100#. It also has a limited slip rear end now.:smile:
John

Only the 87 GNs have the steel reinforcements. All 84-86 GNs have the aluminum.And not all non-GNs have the aluminum. Okay this is about the one billionith time this issue has been rehashed to death. It's purely political in nature the reason why the 87 GN got the steels. That model had to weigh a certain weight for Buick and GM to qualify its CAFE numbers for the 1987 model year. And so what if the T and T-Type weigh a couple of pounds less. I've said it a billion times. A good driver in the heavier car can lay down a good holeshot and make all of that aluminum pretty much worthless. The weight advantage isn't even worth a tenth in the quarter. Pretty much a moot point if you want to start an arguement anyway.

I have kept my silence long enough.

My Uncle Burnhuckle worked at the G-body plant back in 87. He had just snuck into the country and his English skills where still less than stellar, much less his ability to read English. He was in charge of which aluminum and steel bumper supports went on what car. At some point down the line, he got the boxes with the big "A" and the boxes with the "S"s confused, thus resulting in the huge bumper support mystery that has caused much headache over the years. He was later arrested and deported after he got the "mag" and "spoke" wheels confused at the huffy factory.

ha!!

I knew there had to be an immigrant connection! My grandpa Guiseppi was responsible for the dropping and breaking the casting mold for the original 455 Stage 2 heads:p