T-tops question?

All righty then .. guess i need to take my SF connectors off...
I don't get it... The ttops are an opinion. The unibody construction statement wasn't. Unibody cars are significantly stronger and more rigid while allowing better design "crumple" zones, better handling, less weight, and perform better in crash testing. Unibody design is superior in almost every way.

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

FWIW , my TTA , which had 15k orig miles was way better feeling/sounding with T-tops compared to my GN . Virtually no wind noise at highway speeds and less rattles/squeaks if I remember at all. But the dash shook like it was going to fall out though when you hit bumps !!!! LOL .Never did get it wet though to see if it leaked water .

Wouldn't own a Grand National without T-Tops.....got some sun shades from our own Dennis Kirban that fits up against the top glass to keep out the heat...color matches the interior......tops do not leak at all, but I never drive it in the rain either.....love taking them off during the spring, summer, fall, even winter. Even my Vette has T-tops......love them so much. Cruising at night with them off is next to heaven. Always looking for an excuse to go somewhere so I can take the tops off....for me, only way to go.

Have all necessary bracings on the car.....practically rattle free.

With the tops off, the sound of frying tires, RJC 3" exhaust, turbo whine is exhilarating!

As I'm getting older, crankier, clumsier, dorkier, the tops are now somwhat heavier for me to take off and put on....just got to be careful with them.

And I thank Dennis for selling me those T-Top shades...they work just great for us.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I don't get it... The ttops are an opinion. The unibody construction statement wasn't. Unibody cars are significantly stronger and more rigid while allowing better design "crumple" zones, better handling, less weight, and perform better in crash testing. Unibody design is superior in almost every way.

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
You are entitled to your opinion but i must say that you are the first person i ever heard that thought a uni-body was superior over a full frame... as for the government tests i guess they know best.

You are entitled to your opinion but i must say that you are the first person i ever heard that thought a uni-body was superior over a full frame... as for the government tests i guess they know best.
Its not an opinion. Its a fact. You obviously havent talked with many engineers.

Why do you think all modern cars are unibody construction? Sports cars, economy cars, luxury cars, etc? Because they handle better, are stronger, more rigid, safer, and lighter. Period. GNs are WEAK structurally as are most full frame cars. Just watch the quarter panel on a GN launch. Quarters, bent, door strikers cracked, pillars cracked etc. Running even 10s. Go look at a late model corvette or camaro running 10s and you wont see that.

Real quick search found this study,that showed 18% lower chance of death in unibody construction compact SUV vs body on frame compact SUV construction. 18% is a lot especially in regards to probability of dying.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24821629

Heres an advertisement from,Chrysler in 1960. This really isnt revolutionary news here.

eea7c7a2cb870d8be8971aec03e72cec.jpg

Last edited:
"You obviously haven't talked with many engineers" You be 100% correct there... but i have cussed at least 75% of them...:D

"You obviously haven't talked with many engineers" You be 100% correct there... but i have cussed at least 75% of them...:D
That's actually funny [emoji23] . I think we all have

Pick up a T-top GN on a 2 post lift and watch the door gaps change !!!!!! P.S , don't open the doors when it's up there !!!! LOL

Pick up a T-top GN on a 2 post lift and watch the door gaps change !!!!!! P.S , don't open the doors when it's up there !!!! LOL
Yes lol. Done it many times. One of the reasons if I dont need the openess of the 2 post I use the alignment rack. Watching my car on a 2 post makes my stomach squirm lol.

Had mine on a two post a few times, even 100% stock, and door gaps didn't change. I'm sure some are worse than others.

Had mine on a two post a few times, even 100% stock, and door gaps didn't change. I'm sure some are worse than others.

It's probably more a function of whether or not the lift pads on the lift are level than the condition of the car.

Let me be more specific , not that they changed and stayed that way , what I meant was as you start picking it up , watch the door to fender gap change ( more so on the top ) the gap gets bigger . When you put the car back on the ground it goes back to normal .