T-Top Tint

I had mine done, but it does take a different type of tint. Check with a good tinter.

I use a dark removable film that I found at either PEP Boys or Autozone. It helps to keep the car cooler in summer & I remove it in cooler weather to get the greenhouse effect.

It is a little tough to apply and not get trapped air bubbles under the film at the curved edges and corners but other than that, it works good.

Bob

cut out a piece of cardboard. Cheap, easy and ugly. But, who's going to see it? Or, there are custom made t-top covers that go on the inside of the t-top.

I tried to get mine done back in the early 90's and I was tolt that it shouldn't be done due to the potential for cracking. Not really sure why but that's what I was told...

Just had all my windows redone and the tops tinted. I had the tops done to keep some of the sun out and avoid the light top, dark sidees feeling. 20% on the side and the tops have 20% plus the factory tint. I like it. The sides were 35% before and had the purple look(old). Peeling in a few spots too. I will post pics when I get done with the new springs and clean it up.

I had mine done 6-8 years ago. 5% limo tint and it still looks fine. Not sure if it was a different type than on the windows. It appears to be the same type of tint to me. Hth

Go ahead and tint them. I have tinted a few sets of t-tops without issue. Same tint as any other window. Would suggest three strips to avoid issues with the "complex curves" which the t-tops have but they are very gradual and subtle. I used the limo black which did greatly diminish the sun light thru the glass.

Dean

I got tired of getting a sunburn through the T-Tops. Tried tinting them and did not have enough patience, so I tore the tint up! :mad:....I took the T-Tops out, cleaned the glass really good, taped everything off and spray painted them Black. Looks Factory and no more burns. :cool:

I did 3% limo with the cheapest stuff they had at Wally world. 4 years later it is fine. Still black and no purple. You don't need fancy window tint..

Jason

X2 on the painting. I got some high temp black engine paint and did mine last year. I used engine paint because of the higher temps that the glass endures in the summer. I worked wonderful. No sun and the car stays ALOT cooler. :biggrin:

Thanks for all the info. I will definitely tint mine this year as dark as possible. I wont go with the paint because the tint is much easier to remove later.

Instead of tinting the T Tops

I bought a flexible windshield sun shade and made a template out of cardboard and then cut the sunshade to fit. I then painted the inside part to match the car. They stay in place and if you wish to look at the stars at night ( which my son loves to do ), just take them out. Maybe this would be an alternative.

Thanks for all the info. I will definitely tint mine this year as dark as possible. I wont go with the paint because the tint is much easier to remove later.

The paint is actually easy to remove. I messed one of my T-Tops up and had to strip it. I figured I'd let it dry so there's less mess. I got a razor blade and scraped off the paint. It came off easily and didn't scratch the glass at all. You don't have to put that much pressure on the blade to remove the paint.

mine...

Attachments

• IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 144
If you prefer to paint them there is a spray on tint made for this. You can buy it at advance auto supply and some o'reillys have it. It is called nite shades and is made by vht! You can find it with all of the other engine and body spray paints!

I had tinted the T-tops on a friends camaro, and also tinted the sunroof on my old fiero GT. Just have to be patient and use a heat gun to shrink the ends. Don't cheap out on the tint, go with 3M or something similar, otherwise it's only a matter of time before it turns purple. I worked at a shop quite a few years ago doing tint, and not only does the good stuff not turn purple but it's easier to work with, just be careful because most of the higher end stuff has some metal in it and it's easy to slice a finger:eek: If you don't want to tint, you could find some stiff plastic, and a can of 3M interior trim adhesive, some headliner material and make your own shades that would block the sun and look good.