T-Top Leaks

pwrsix

I know this is a common problem. I was washing the car today and noticed water going into the car from the area where the A pillar meets the T-Top. I know that I need to replace the seals but I also know it is an expensive job. Does anyone have an easier fix for this problem?

I would give the seals a rub down with some petroleum jelly.(should make them swell a little to stop the leaks) I did this on my monte carlo ss years ago! If there dry rotted I would replace them before water gets under the carpets.

You might have rust holes under the seals, very common. Search "T-Top rust" and behold the carnage...

I agree with Fitz. I'm not sure what Gm was thinking or if they were when they designed the drain holes in these cars, but they are notorious to hold moisture. Especially, the t-top cars. I've seen 15,000 mile cars that never seen outdoors except sunshine and to be washed and put back up, that still had rust under the t-tops.

I hoping for your sake I'm wrong, but if your already getting water to the floor..It's not a good sign. Rust is like cancer it only spreads. We went ahead and done ours on our GN at 32,000 when we repainted it and it had a little.

I wish you the best.

im in the middle of a resto project on my 87 GN.

tore the carpet out floors rusted through. previous owner had it re-undercoated to hide the damage. so were in the process of doing the floor pans.

while were doing this to ensure no further damage of the new steel i had the bright idea to redo all the weatherstrip. :(

tore the t's off and under there were some nice sized holes.

gotta get new retainer strips as well as the drivers one is done.

this is a huge project im undertaking. the costs are outrageous for the gm strips for the doors. the adhesive and material to get the seals back in place is around 200.00

JUST FOR ADHESIVE seam sealer, strip caulk and adhesive remover.

The water doesnt pour in. I get a few little droplets that run down the inside of the window. The next time I have the tops off, I will look for rust. I will also try the petroleum. Thanks.

water never poured into mine either slowly dripped through the holes and ran down the a pillar/sunvisor area like you describe.

you wont be able to see much rust with all the components on the top still.

going to have to remove the driver and passenger "r" shaped brackets that make a t.

when you do this youll be into the restoring process of the t's.

I just spent about $1500 to fix my GN's TTop. Had to weld in new metal, put in all SS retainers and parts. New repro weatherstripping. Still doesn't fit 100% perfect, but almost there.

im in the middle of a resto project on my 87 GN.

tore the carpet out floors rusted through. previous owner had it re-undercoated to hide the damage. so were in the process of doing the floor pans.

while were doing this to ensure no further damage of the new steel i had the bright idea to redo all the weatherstrip. :(

tore the t's off and under there were some nice sized holes.

gotta get new retainer strips as well as the drivers one is done.

this is a huge project im undertaking. the costs are outrageous for the gm strips for the doors. the adhesive and material to get the seals back in place is around 200.00

JUST FOR ADHESIVE seam sealer, strip caulk and adhesive remover.

water never poured into mine either slowly dripped through the holes and ran down the a pillar/sunvisor area like you describe.

you wont be able to see much rust with all the components on the top still.

going to have to remove the driver and passenger "r" shaped brackets that make a t.

when you do this youll be into the restoring process of the t's.

I just spent about $1500 to fix my GN's TTop. Had to weld in new metal, put in all SS retainers and parts. New repro weatherstripping. Still doesn't fit 100% perfect, but almost there.

Thanks for all the good news.:frown:

fix it soon as you can. and make sure the carpet is dry. ive got an 86 gn that i bought in may of 87. the t tops leaked in the back when i washed it. the cars been setting inside for about 15 years without being driven much,last year i decided to give it a good cleaning to get ready to drive again. i pulled the interior out and under the carpet on the rear drivers side(where it leaked) there are pin holes in the floor board. this about made me sick the car has spent its life indoors and it only has 23,000 miles on it. luckily the area under the t top trim looks like new shiney and everything. jeff

fix it soon as you can. and make sure the carpet is dry. ive got an 86 gn that i bought in may of 87. the t tops leaked in the back when i washed it. the cars been setting inside for about 15 years without being driven much,last year i decided to give it a good cleaning to get ready to drive again. i pulled the interior out and under the carpet on the rear drivers side(where it leaked) there are pin holes in the floor board. this about made me sick the car has spent its life indoors and it only has 23,000 miles on it. luckily the area under the t top trim looks like new shiney and everything. jeff

Thanks for more good news.:frown:

Thanks for more good news.:frown:

That's why guys will say just cut the T's out and weld in a solid roof.:eek: I didn't listen. I have the driver's side perfect, but the pass side still leaks air and water in one spot but I think I can get that fixed easily with a little adjustment.

X2 on removing all of the T Top trim and seeing what damage you have! L Shape plates, metal weatherstrip retainers, seals, etc.... Most cars look fine without the t tops in place, but pull all of the trim off and you are probably going to be sick. Mine looked great too until I started dismantling car. Rust holes! We rebuilt and welded in the entire T top metal on both sides. (even though only drivers side had holes) Then purchased the stainless steel t top kit from G Body Parts. All new weatherstrip, etc.... I have close to $1500 in materials alone. THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE LABOR! In the end it looks much better than it could ever have looked from the factory but it was a long painful road getting there.

X2 on removing all of the T Top trim and seeing what damage you have! L Shape plates, metal weatherstrip retainers, seals, etc.... Most cars look fine without the t tops in place, but pull all of the trim off and you are probably going to be sick. Mine looked great too until I started dismantling car. Rust holes! We rebuilt and welded in the entire T top metal on both sides. (even though only drivers side had holes) Then purchased the stainless steel t top kit from G Body Parts. All new weatherstrip, etc.... I have close to $1500 in materials alone. THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE LABOR! In the end it looks much better than it could ever have looked from the factory but it was a long painful road getting there.

Anybody else have any good news?:rolleyes:

Rust holes! We rebuilt and welded in the entire T top metal on both sides. (even though only drivers side had holes) Then purchased the stainless steel t top kit from G Body Parts. All new weatherstrip, etc.... I have close to $1500 in materials alone. THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE LABOR! In the end it looks much better than it could ever have looked from the factory but it was a long painful road getting there.

I think I must have gone over my $1500 budget- I got the $500 SS TTop kit too from Gbodyparts and then new weatherstripping however much that was, probably over $200, and $900 in labor since I had my buddy, weld, respray the roof and B pillars, and adjust the glass to fit it well to seal. Don't tell the wife:eek:

Anybody else have any good news?:rolleyes:

I do! I finished the floors, carpets, seats. trims, gauges, etc. in my '87 Grand National interior and it came out looking brand new!! Smells new, too. Only four years restoring the interior, finally finished and I'm now happy as a pig in chit. How's that for good news?

Bad news: still up on jackstands, got lots more work to do to the outside. Exhaust, springs, brakes, hoses, injectors, etc.

Good news: I should finish the whole project just the day before I die.:rolleyes:

More good news: Spent three days painting the garage, and it came out great!

Bad news: Got to peel off all the spring insects out of the paint that were dive bombing me during painting.

Good news: Five wasps landed on me at various times, but not one of them stung me. Good thing I didn't bathe that morning.:p

But the BEST good news for you is to follow and do my motto, and this concerns ANY project you've got ahead of you, your Grand National or anything: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, JUST DO IT!

I learned this motto from an old engineering buddy who did all of his projects this way. Instead of worrying about it, whining about it, finding all kinds of reasons NOT to do it, (and believe me, I can do that part well:rolleyes:) this is the motto he went by. And boy, did he get things done. I've followed his motto for years and it works quite well. Try it, you'll feel better in the end. The end results in all the trouble you put into your Turbo Buick is just the greatest feeling in the world. (just keep your checkbook receipts out of sight):(

Good luck, take your time, do it right, and be happy about it. Remember, one day you'll wake up dead and you won't be able to do a damn thing!!!:eek::D

Bruce '87 Grand National

I think I must have gone over my $1500 budget- I got the $500 SS TTop kit too from Gbodyparts and then new weatherstripping however much that was, probably over $200, and $900 in labor since I had my buddy, weld, respray the roof and B pillars, and adjust the glass to fit it well to seal. Don't tell the wife:eek:

Don't tell the wife........... 50 bucks or a case of Corona Extra keeps me quiet.:p

Bruce '87 Grand National

"don't worry about it, just do it!"

Does your buddy work for NIKE?:D

No, IBM. In New York. Big shot there for a while. And Northrope Aviation. Now on travel a lot. Laid back, but so brilliant. :) Can solve almost any problem, electrical or mechanical that comes up. I really look up to that guy. Must be nice.

One time I visited him in upstate New York at his big cabin on the banks of the Sussquahanna River. He was building this hugh deck on the back of his cabin, must have been about 60 ft by 70 feet. I asked him "I didn't know you knew how to build decks." He said, "I don't. I don't worry about it, I just DO it.":wink: The deck came out fantastic. With no help from anyone.

You'd be suprised how much you can do by following this motto.;)

Bruce '87 Grand National

I know...."Just do it" is the Nike motto. Sorry, no cigar.

Mine drips where the OP said his does though mine drips down from the top of the a pillar down to the seat. Just when I hit it with the hose, so I put a piece of papertowel across where the seal meets the glass from the drivers side in when I wash - no more leaks. Don't really drive it in the rain and when I had the passenger side off for replacement I had no rust all the way around. It has been a Cali car for years though.