"switched power source" question.......

TTAfreak

this may be long....but I need a clear answer.

the issues are

a. my scanmaster
b. my alky kit from razor

now.....if hook either of these up at the fuse box under the dash for a switched power source.....using "add a fuse" gadgets from autozone.....then the whatever car component that runs from that fuse slot is negatively affected by the addition of the "add a fuse" that controls either of the above mentioned aftermarket components.

im thinkin maybe it has something to do with the built in reisistance of the "add a fuse"

but my main question is, where EXACTLY are you guys getting your 12v switched power source for either of the above components?????

thanks

Ya made me look... the alky kit is plugged into the open slot on the fuse box labeled "Radio". That is a 12 volt switched source.

The scanmaster you can get power from any switched 12 volt source.

Now some cars will get interference due to bad grounds, in some cases a relay may be required to get power to the alky kit from the back of the alternator. Or tap into the fuel pump hot wire relay. The interference will show up as missed frames on the scanmaster.

HTH

thanks razor.

like I said. if I plug in either component (your kit, or the scanmaster) to the radio fuse slot on my fuse box.....then the radio no longer works.

ive been round and round with this problem for some time now. i just cant figure out what the hell is going on.

When you say it doesnt work... what doesnt work? Its dead or doesnt pickup stations or??? Does the fuse blow? Maybe your connecting to the wrong ground point?

Lets do this, connect the red wire to the PAC to the "Radio" slot on the fuse box. Now tell me step by step what doesnt work... and when it stops working. After the ignition is on, car is running, goes into boost, etc???

Post back.. this is gonna be good.

Julio

Razor said:
When you say it doesnt work... what doesnt work? Its dead or doesnt pickup stations or??? Does the fuse blow? Maybe your connecting to the wrong ground point?

Lets do this, connect the red wire to the PAC to the "Radio" slot on the fuse box. Now tell me step by step what doesnt work... and when it stops working. After the ignition is on, car is running, goes into boost, etc???

Post back.. this is gonna be good.

Julio

Razor....I think we finally got this fixed yesterday, but Ill explain anyway.

when I say it "doesnt work" I mean theres NOTHING. the radio has no power at all. the fuse didnt blow.

I believe the "add a fuse" things we were using were the culprit. we finally decided just to find a wire AFTER the fuse panel and tap into it. that seems to have worked.

but the bottom line is.....if you pull the radio fuse.....plug in the "add a fuse" and then plug the radio fuse back into the "add a fuse" then the scanmaster....or your alky kit.....would work correctly.....but the radio would no longer have any power at all.

anyway....thanks for all your help as usual. hopefully this is the last of this problem.

oh, and yesterday, I ran 23 lbs of boost with absolutely NO KNOCK AT ALL.

my blms are still a tad low....(115 or so) but I think I may need a new MAF with a translator. ill keep you posted on this problem and hopefully we can get it worked out.

:D

Well see when I said radio slot.. there is a slot on the fuse box that doesnt have a fuse in it. It is a single terminal that will fit a male spade terminal.

You dont use an add a fuse, you simply push the male spade terminal into the open slot without touching any fuses. make sense?

I bet was what happening is you pulled the radio fuse, put the add a fuse, then the add a fuse didnt allow for contact on the other side of the fuse. See one terminal on the fuse.. ie, the radio fuse.. gets hot when the IGN is turned on.. the other side of the fuse supplies power to the circuit.. in this case the radio.

Fix for future reference, dont touch the fuses in the box. Use the supplied taps provided by the factory.

Razor said:
Well see when I said radio slot.. there is a slot on the fuse box that doesnt have a fuse in it. It is a single terminal that will fit a male spade terminal.

You dont use an add a fuse, you simply push the male spade terminal into the open slot without touching any fuses. make sense?

I bet was what happening is you pulled the radio fuse, put the add a fuse, then the add a fuse didnt allow for contact on the other side of the fuse. See one terminal on the fuse.. ie, the radio fuse.. gets hot when the IGN is turned on.. the other side of the fuse supplies power to the circuit.. in this case the radio.

Fix for future reference, dont touch the fuses in the box. Use the supplied taps provided by the factory.

Ill be damned. now it makes perfect sense. thanks man.

I was doing it all wrong. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :mad:

anyway, the problem appears to be solved now.