Swapping valves in TH400 Valvebody??

theo

I know this place is more usually 200-4r oriented, but I was hoping to take advantage of some of the general tranny guru-ness going around here!

Rebuilding a TH400 and have discovered that the modulator valve has a metal chip broken off one of the lands that, by looking at it installed in the casing, would appear to have been allowing line pressure to bleed across to the modulator pressure circuit.

What's the general opinion on putting "another" modulator valve in the casing? (If I can even get hold of one!) The damage appears to be limited to the spool valve only, and the bore in the aluminium case looks fine. Are these parts "fitted" to each other?

I guess I have to find another one and mic it up to check....

Can anyone suggest where I'd find one?

Attached pic shows the valve installed in the casing and pushed right in to the "low engine vacuum" position. You can just make out the chip on the land that's sitting in the left hand modulator port. (I hope I've got my labels right, they're from looking at the service manual!)

PS. I realise the title's a little misleading, I'd only remembered that the Vac. Mod valve is in the casing and not the VB once I'd finish posting!

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 102
If your talking about that "chip" in the valve in your photo, that is normal, they are all that way, no need to replace it.

Yeah, that's the one.... but really, that's normal?!? It looks very much like an actual fracture rather than something the General put in on purpose! What's the purpose of it, do you know?

Cheers

Theo