Swapping a TH350 for a 200r4?

H

Hit Man X

How complicated is this process? I asked a tranny place about the size and the 350 and 200 are the same length so...do you just have to move the crossmember or...?

OI believe they are the same size, however the 200R4 will require a a different crossmember. The TH350 crossmembers run diagnal srt of. The 200R4 runs straight across the frame. As well, the 200R4 has a lockup torque convertor.. So Some kind of wiring harness will have to be made for the convertor to lock up on cruising speeds. I'm no tranny expert, but I hope that gives you some insight :p

Not only will you need the correct crossmember, but you will need to have a mounting bracket welded to the frame for the driver's side of the crossmember to bolt to.

tranny swap

I did this to a 82 sport coupe i had which had the 350 trans.It was pretty much a bolt in except for the crossmember.I bought the correct crossmember when i got the trans from a local yard but as B4Black said (which i didn't realize at the time)there's no place to bolt the drivers side to because the frame doesn't have any provisions for it.of course i didn't realize this until i had already had put the 2004r trans in the car and i wasn't about to pull it back out.What i did was reused the old crossmember,because the way it curves i was able to reuse the factory holes on one side and drilled new holes in the frame on the other side.I just can't remember which was which and i know longer have the car.as for the lock-up converter i left it unhooked,i wasn't real concerned about gas milage anyways.the only other problem you will have is on a turbo 350 trans it's got a vaccume mod. for shifting on a 2004r you don't.the shift points come from a T.V. cable(which looks like the kick down cable on the 350 trans)it will go right were the kickdown cable is know and will hook to the carb in the same matter the differance is theres a little button the T.V. cable were it mount on the carb and this allows for sliding the cable in or out and by doing this controls shift points in the trans.but this also controls kick down or passing gear so it's a fine line and very sensitives to adjustments.to much one way or the other will cause no shifting or to fast a shifts.It took me half a day to get it were i wanted it because you have to get out of the car every time you want to change it and you have to move it in small incraments or throws it all out of wack,all that being said it was well worth a days worth of installation and adjustments and of course can be done.the reason i put mine in was because i had put in a rear from a monte ss (3.73) and on the highway with a 350 trans it would wine the motor to much for my taste so i needed the overdrive.in the end it worked out great and the car really got off the line in a hurry considering it was a CARBEDTURBO.

So, the drive shaft will be fine too?

Think a good tranny place can do this and should I get a 200 crossmember?

trans swap

THe drive shaft works fine,the trannys are the same lenth and the splines are the same.Any trans shop could do it it's just a matter of how much.If you get a junk yard trans and member there going to i'm sure tell you that you should rebuild the trans on top of the labor for welding in a plate for the member to mount to and for whatever else they decide to make-up.and they probbabley won't even guarantee the work since it would be make-shift.but who knows it never hurts to call.

The tranny place that did my AOD is very cool. Only cost me $600 to drop, build, install. I brought the parts. The beefed it all up. The have a 5.9 1/8th mile car too!

They quoted us about $250-300 to drop and put in the 200 w/ that cable (I remember them telling me about it)