Superior shift kit and servo

493 scamp

Am I right in thinking the blue spring that comes in the shift kit is not used when using the super servo? The servo instructions have you leave it out and no seal on the smaller piston.

Unless it has changed the superior unit will exhibit a down shift "clunk" from 3 to 2 if the cushion spring is left out.

Well it worked.... for a while,Street driven 56 olds show car on street tires. Went to car show about 100 miles and got on it coming home.
Went bang on 2/3 shift and stopped moving. Tear down shows new heat treated input clutch shaft split/sheared/cracked. Splined end sheared off end of shaft,the next 1/4 inch of shaft in many pieces and a big crack running down the shaft past the sealing rings. I used to build these for a drag racer that launched with slicks under boost and never had a heat treated one fail. Do you think it was defective or is this mild 455 tripower on street tires in need of a $500 billet shaft input drum? I also noticed a slight discoloration on the overdrive clutches,I left OD stock since it wont be used except cruise on highway,should I get /make a thinner apply piston and add clutches? This thing is pretty heavy,owner may not have TV cable right but all other clutches and band look new.

Billet drum might be a good idea! Heavy and the 455 is making a good bit of torque. I know high pressure and super hard shifts likes to break stuff:( Post pics of the car!

Well it worked.... for a while,Street driven 56 olds show car on street tires. Went to car show about 100 miles and got on it coming home.
Went bang on 2/3 shift and stopped moving. Tear down shows new heat treated input clutch shaft split/sheared/cracked. Splined end sheared off end of shaft,the next 1/4 inch of shaft in many pieces and a big crack running down the shaft past the sealing rings. I used to build these for a drag racer that launched with slicks under boost and never had a heat treated one fail. Do you think it was defective or is this mild 455 tripower on street tires in need of a $500 billet shaft input drum? I also noticed a slight discoloration on the overdrive clutches,I left OD stock since it wont be used except cruise on highway,should I get /make a thinner apply piston and add clutches? This thing is pretty heavy,owner may not have TV cable right but all other clutches and band look new.
I have broken the harden shaft forward drums also. Billet forward drums are the only way to go. Scott McClay Engineering makes a really nice piece. Add the extra clutch to the overdrive unit. I do on all my transmissions.

Billet forward drums are the only way to go. NOT Always !!!

Attachments

• 1907.JPG
    1907.JPG
    670.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 1908.JPG
    1908.JPG
    673.1 KB · Views: 145
If third oil hole is increased and line pressure increased the drum could fail at any time. Se may never fail and some will fail immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If third oil hole is increased and line pressure increased the drum could fail at any time. Se may never fail and some will fail immediately.

That's why I don't open up the 3rd feed hole and use different return springs in the direct clutch.

That's why I don't open up the 3rd feed hole and use different return springs in the direct clutch.
Yup. It's definitely an antagonist if you open it and are using a stock drum.

That's exactly what happened, was hard on it and when it shifted to 3rd BANG !! spun the shaft right out of it. This happened a couple of years ago and was one of Bruce's drums.