summitt rebuild kits

Says it includes forged pistons too. Hmmm, I am curious if anyone has tried this kit?

I run the speed-pro forged with the coated skirt like that in my 355 SBC, with a 175 shot. 40k street miles, many passes at ATCO, and alot of n2o, lol.

Basically, this kit is in my short block now - been 10.16@134mph. I may be running different bearings (ACL) but if it comes with the speedpro or federal mogul equivalent tough bearing set, then it doesn't matter. There's a lot of supporting mode beyond short block parts though.

Piston manufacturers often use a lesser rated wrist pin to produce more affordable piston sets. For example, the Sealed Power L2481F pistons ship with case hardened 1016 steel pins while JE/Wiseco use a case hardened 5115 steel. We prefer to use a 4130 alloy pin in our street/strip engines, which are fine to 1000 HP. Once we get beyond those HP targets, we typically use a H-13 tool steel wrist pin that is good to 1800HP.

Just make sure the wrist pins you get are properly suited for your intended performance goals. If the correct pins are not included in the set, then upgrade them to a better material.

Thanks for the info guys. Gives me a little hope that I can get this thing back on the road with out breaking the bank. Car still runs but dropped a cyclinder and pushing oil out both breathers. Does this sound like headgasket or ring/piston? Also, I'd like to hear opinions on if you think this is probably everything I need in this kit. Engine is not knocking or anything major except some valve noise. Are the wrist pins usually included with the pistons? I don't see them in this kit. Not building a 600 hp car. My goals are high 11's, so I don't think I need any high dollar build parts. (correct me if I'm wrong) I know it is tough to answer questions like this, but just trying to get educated by you guys that have been down this road before. Thanks, Tim

The rebuild kit linked to in this thread includes the L2481F pistons which do have the 1016 steel pins (confirmed by Mark from Sealed Power tech hotline). For the HP produced by a high 11 engine, you should be just fine.

If it comes with the L2481 pistons the pins will be fine. The pins are almost a solid bar of steel. The stock pin in the stock cast aluminum pistons is much lighter and less beefy. The stock cast piston is also heavy due to a steel plate that is cast into the top of the piston for blast throug protection for the turbo engine. A forged piston does not need this and ends up as a lighter piston. Back in the day TRW (now Sealed power) mandated that stock replacment piston would not require the engine to be rebalanced. So they added the beefy steel pin to make up for the weight difference.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The rebuild kit linked to in this thread includes the L2481F pistons which do have the 1016 steel pins (confirmed by Mark from Sealed Power tech hotline). For the HP produced by a high 11 engine, you should be just fine.

Not trying to hijack the thread here, but how are the pins in this set of Wiseco pistons you sell? I'm thinking about going with these. Mods are in my sig. Thanks.
http://www.weberpowerproducts.com/wiseco-020-over-piston-and-ring-set-p/wis-pt040a2.htm

Not trying to hijack the thread here, but how are the pins in this set of Wiseco pistons you sell?

It's a good pin for many builds IMO, but this is relative to how much HP you intend to produce. We've seen low/mild carbon 1016, 1018 and even 5115 pins crack. Once the crack starts in a low/mild carbon case hardened pin, it's all downhill from there. Bad tune/detonation, improperly matched components for the HP produced, etc. all contribute to the pin failures. The best thing to do is speak directly with your part supplier/shop about this. You can call the piston manufacturers too, but don't be shocked if first tier tech support has no clue what pins they are using in the piston sets they are selling. :)