Suggestions for FAST

tazgn

Craig or whomever this should be to,

I have seen a bunch of posts about things like how to make the FAST control shifters, alky, etc. Are there any plans or ways now to add some "auxilary relays" to the fast system that could allow it to control things like that. I personally would LOVE to have the ECU control my alky turnon point, 2nd fuel pump turnon, and probably some other things too. That would be AWESOME to have the ECU control these function based on things like RPM, boost, TPS or whatever... I know that there is a stand alone product out there that senses boost and will control up to 5 items but that's not really what I would want.

Just a thought, and it sounds like there are quite a few people out there that would like the same things. Damn, I wish my buick ECU would use the NOS function so I could use that to control the alky instead....

Derrick

We are in the process of developing a product which will address this and some other issues. We are well aware of the desire for additional outputs just as you are mentioning. The current ECU design is simply limited in terms of inputs and outputs that can be handled. We aren't yet ready to begin discussing too many details of the new ECU but that shouldn't be too far off for us.

I appreciate your feedback. Anyone else, please feel free to chime in as well with thoughts or ideas on something you would like to see.

TCC control is the one that i would like to see in there
AC may be , and Advance VS Air temp
But most important is the tcc

Will this product be another "ecu" orrrrrr could we upgrade our boxes
Thanks

Man, I hope we can upgrade our current boxes! I don't wanna spend X thousands on a new box. Of course with all these new outputs, our current wiring harnesses/plugs may just not have enough connections.

Anyhow, I'd love to see (as he falls alseep, entering dream mode)-

- Control for multi-stage N2O with wet/dry for each (i.e. wet first stage and dry second stage), and it can be set up for three stages on a two-stage system (one stage, then the other stage, then both), while still controlling a fan, IAC, etc. Also a timer that switches off nitrous after 15 (?) seconds no matter what.

- A MPG calculation in the software (either based on a speedo input, or estimated based on gear ratio, tire size, RPM and inj. PW) (I think this is more Calcom, especially for the latter)

- TCC control (or switch-pitch, for those of us with TH-400), and AC control for you lucky ducks with "cool" cars

- Voltage correction and Air Temp Correction that can be easily modified by users to match their car

- A few user controllable outputs, so I can do weird things like turn on heaters or arm nitrous systems or whatever, based on a bunch of parameters that I input (hey, wouldn't it be cool for my heater blower to come on after the engine temp is above 130 degrees)

- EGT inputs & control??? (if possible)

- An option for a multiple spark output (so I can junk my MSD box) (is that a simple modification to the "points" output?)

- The ability to use sequential w/o a cam sensor (the engine could start in B2B then an inductive pickup on the #1 spark plug wire could give engine position)

- Outputs to gauges (such as cyberdyne) so you don't have to have two temp sending units, etc., or even output to a "multi-gauge" that lets the user select what is being displayed (vacuum, temp, volts, RPM, whatever) so you don't have to read a laptop screen while you're driving.

- If the gauge idea isn't doable, maybe outputs to a few idiot lights (8 little LED's on a small panel?) to show knock, lean A/F (ratio is user selected, of course), high engine temp, whatever

- I'm sure some of the turbo guys would like boost control too.

- Engine temperature control (would require a servo-controlled T-stat, developed by the aftermarket for each respective vehicle), it would be nice to run 150 at the track and 195 on the highway for good mileage

(wakes back up) I fully realize an ECU with all this will probably sell for over $15k if actually developed, but I'm allowed to dream, aren't I? (And maybe some of these are institutable with minimal effort)

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

I almost forgot all about the TCC control. I actually went the non-lockup route after getting the FAST system JUST because it doesn't control the TCC. I think this is a MAJOR design flaw for the system. But I was thinking about this this morning and thought about a wastegate control function as well. That should have been designed initially too I think. Basically I was looking at a link someone posted the other day about a comparison between ECU's available for Honda's of all things. And the one available for the rice actually have some nice features not available with the FAST. :(

Geez, I guess this is the "wish for" thread for the FAST system. :) But unfortunately, I too won't have thousands of dollars to spend on getting a whole new system if one comes out. It would be nice to be able to get our boxes upgraded somehow....

Derrick

New prod. wish list

Would be great to have the following, in addition to what I've already seen listed.
Dashboard additions that would be able to show FP,
I/C in and out temps,egt. These, in addition to, the many sensors already there, would make for a great diagnostic system that would allow looking at 1 screen to get all the info when searching for a problem...THAT would be :cool: :cool:

Actually wanting to generate a brand following.
Open Source Code
Stop the silly keying of WB O2s
More outputs.

Full time Baro input
Full time Baro timing and fueling corrections
MAT Temp compensation for timing and fuel corrrections
Use of variable decay for knock, and variable attack for K/S
Switch in code for SEFI to Batch.

Drop the price to be competable with comprobible ecms, 400-500 dollars.

Go with a long term sales strategy of a finished product, like VW used to do. Little changes just to cover past faults, not a new box that obsoletes the past ones.

Have the corp look around and and see what's going on, and where things are going.

With the editing power of EPEC, and things like Megasquirt, Megajolt the market she willl be a changing.

15 frames/sec datalogging of all inputs, outputs, plus 4 misc inputs.

All the pieces I've mentioned are out there now, so your almost to a playing a big game of catch up.

There is no need or excuss for guys not at least matching oem levels of around town drivibility with your stuff. And the bar has been raised seneral rungs for even is OK for oems now.

The end result of our work will be a new product. There simply isn't any more that we can do with the current product so an upgrade really isn't possible. We would go that route if we could.

... then PLEASE PLEASE don't let the excitement over the new product overshadow us existing users- there are a lot of boxes out here, and I didn't buy it with the intention of it being a short-term (disposable) item.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

Okay, a few more things that I could add to my dream list here.

- Additional enrichment and/or timing retard based on engine temp (to prevent detonation when the engine heats up, like when you get stuck in a traffic jam)

- Indication of which cylinder is knocking, and retard on those cylinders only (even for B-B units, you could retard timing on an individual cylinder even though you don't know which one is knocking, like the J&S)

- Variable HP (soft-hit) nitrous control, like the Jacob's NMM

- Timing retard based on engine acceleration (engine acceleration at WOT in RPM/second could tell the ECM what gear the car is in, you could get more or less timing in high/low gears at WOT)

- user-programmable voltage correction ;-)

- An option to monitor fuel pressure, and shut off nitrous injection if FP falls too low

- A diagnostic function, to have the ECM cycle the fans, fuel pump, whatever, so the user can track down other problems

- An output for a second fuel pump to come on at WOT (i.e. for the dual-pump units sold by a popular Buick vendor)

- Adapt the nitrous control so it can instead be used for alcohol injection, with multiple stages that come on at different boost levels

- Anti-theft mode so the ECM won't start the car until a user puts in a password through Calcom

- Valet mode, with a setting for a seperate rev limiter (2000 RPM or something)

- Rev limit by either fuel or ignition cut-out, user selectable (maybe a soft rev limiter like the MSD boxes use)

- A couple more inputs for things like oil pressure, transmission oil temperature, etc. (sending units could be typical parts-store items)

- A load cell to be an accelerameter (spelling?) and 1/4 mile estimator like the G-Tech, or even a dragstrip emulator (for 60' times, 1/8 mile, etc.), along with a small analysis package that could show how changes (timing, etc.) affected the acceleration at a given point on the run (dyno in a box!).

- If a load cell is too difficult, maybe engine acceleration (RPM/second) could be plotted over subsequent runs to determine how changes affected the acceleration- this could all be done in software

Okay, I'll shut up now...

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

I appreciate your feedback. Anyone else, please feel free to chime in as well with thoughts or ideas on something you would like to see. [/B]

Well since you asked, Craig:)

It would be nice to incorporate an input for electronic speed sensor (VSS I guess some manufacturers refer to it as). With that said, control boost, igition timing, NOS stage, etc. based on the speed (or gear) ... comes in very handy on your FWD users:eek:

Secondly, alot of car manufacturers are incorporating variable cam timing and multiple lift camshaft lobes... by all means, an output to control camshaft timing (+- 50 degrees at crank) and output for camshaft lobe switchover.

On the non technical side - PLEASE design much bigger dashboard displays, like big ole clock for RPM or a box with the RPM number so you can see it from 50 feet ... LOL

my $0.02

Greg

OK... lots of input here. I (that meaning we) will continue to monitor this thread, should any or all of you continue to add to it. I will say at this point that some of the suggestions in this thread will be implemented, and some will not. As stated, we simply cannot upgrade the current system beyond what it already is. It isn't possible. However, while our focus will be on the future, we will not be sweeping the past and the thousands of customers we currently have under the carpet. Existing product will be supported to the best of our ability for as long as we are able to do so.

I won't be replying with a yes or a no on any suggestions posted here, but I welcome and encourage anything you wish to add to this list. Specific info on what the new system will entail will be made available here (as well as several other places) soon.

Thanks again for your input, everyone!

Two fan outputs- either high/low speed, or for a dual fan arrangement it would be first fan / second fan. (Seperate temp settings for each fan speed- i.e. 1st fan on at 175, 2nd fan on at 185 or whatever).

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

IAC control would be nice with the other option turned on, on the 4th digit in the part number, And Craig basicly what you are telling me is that I bought this thing a couple of months ago and when you switch over our stuff wont be worth spit. Take a cue from Accel.

Highlight cells that fuel is either added or removed based on your parameters, then allow, with the users permission, the ECU to correct the VE tables to minimize O2 Correction. This would give the ECM the ability to "learn" how to maximize efficiency and power with just several runs if it was in the ballpark to begin with.

That would be cool.

Originally posted by TD2593
Craig basicly what you are telling me is that I bought this thing a couple of months ago and when you switch over our stuff wont be worth spit. Take a cue from Accel.

What I seem to recall saying was more to the tune of "we will take care of our existing customers with old systems for as long as we can." When our new system makes it to market, the box you have will still do EXACTLY the same thing it does now and it will work just as well as it does now. A new system being available won't make your system worth anything less.

With regard to your comments about Accel, are you suggesting that they did anything other than what we are about to do? They made a newer, better product. I'm sure that if they could have offered an upgrade that allowed the Gen 6 box to do what the Gen 7 does it would have happened.

TD2593,

If you look at some of the requests people have made, it obviously requires a lot more outputs than the existing box could handle (A/C, TCC, VSS, etc.). Even just from an external standpoint, you can't fit another plug on to our existing box. They pretty much have to revamp the whole thing. And on the inside, I doubt any of our internals are state of the art (might have been 4 years ago, but not today).

When GM comes out with the 2003 model cars, do you bring back your 2002 and make them replace it because it's not the newest thing? Of course not- what you got is still a viable product. You can't expect progress to stop at yesterday's level.

They have committed to supporting us as long as they can, I think that is great. I mean heck, my '69 Buick says "keep your GM car all GM" on the decal, but what kind of reaction do you think I would get if I went to them and asked for 99% of the parts on that car?

I doubt this is a planned obsolesence, just progress.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

Darn, here I am typing away with my well-thought out response, and Craig beats me to it...

-Bob C.

Craig once the new system comes to market, will the old system then be discontinued etc.??

Any ideas on price increase over the current system. I'm planning on buying a FAST system in the near future but am now wondering if i should wait until the new system comes out, yet if the new system is substantially more than the existing system i'll most likely just purchase the current system.

Thanks

Truth or Rumor:

i heard that someone was told at a race by a FAST rep that the new system can be bought with an adapter harness to be used with our old harnesses or something to that effect?