Suddenly burning oil

goldcountry

Have an '83 T-Type, engine rebuilt 10000 ago. Running strong. Yesterday started getting intermittent oil burning out the pipe. No impact on power. Burned about a quart in 40 miles. Not consistent with power level. It would emit for 10 yards; 50 yards; 100 yards, then be clear for miles. Where to start to look. Turbo bearing?:mad: :mad: :mad:

Have an '83 T-Type, engine rebuilt 10000 ago. Running strong. Yesterday started getting intermittent oil burning out the pipe. No impact on power. Burned about a quart in 40 miles. Not consistent with power level. It would emit for 10 yards; 50 yards; 100 yards, then be clear for miles. Where to start to look. Turbo bearing?:mad: :mad: :mad:

Turbo would be a good start.

Pop off the up-pipe and look for LOTS of oil. Look for a stuck PCV valve. Clean it out with alcohol until the flapper moves freely. Pull the plugs and look for the offending cylinders. Do a compression test. If the numbers are suspect, follow it up with a leakdown. What was the break-in procedure like? You didnt run sythetic oil or any oil treatments during break in did you? Did you drain the break in oil and change the filter when you were supposed to?

Thanks for the info. No, did not use synthetic oil. Breakin easy and proper. Will take a look 'into' on Tues. Hope it's the PVC.If not, will check compression, etc.

If all that checks out check the down pipe its a pita but the exhaust side may look like mine did!:confused: :confused: :eek:

Attachments

• 1-4-2007-10.jpg
    1-4-2007-10.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 65
Is you car an ....

actual 83 set-up, w/carb. etc? Are you sure it was oil(blue smoke)? I had a module go on mine and it was causing smoking problems intermittantly. Big clouds of smoke. Also had the timing start to retard by itself,:confused: brought it to the dealer, it was under warranty, and the mech. said I didn't know what I was talking about. Left it there and he called my wife later to say he blew it up on a road test. started wwIII.:eek: