Stroker Crank vs Stroker Kit

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I need to rebuild my engine and I'm pretty sure my crankshaft is toast. It's already cut .020 and it's scored pretty deep from the most recent events.

I've been reading up on the subject and it seems that if I have to replace the crankshaft I might as well go with a stroker.

So I'm confused as to what my options are with a stroker kit/crankshaft. I understand that the stroker kit increases displacement but I see that there are both kits and stand alone crankshafts. Can you just install a stroker crankshaft with stock rods and pistons? Or does it depend on how much additional stroke you're getting out of the crank?

Thanks,
Jim

You can't just put a stroked crank in and do nothing else, otherwise it's likely the pistons will be banging the head.

With more stroke on the crank, you have to make up for that either in shorter rods, or pistons with the pins up higher in the piston.

Beside special pistons, the block needs to be modified for the larger radius of the rod swing.

All above advice is true. CAT (crank supplier) is in Chapter 13? Last time I checked. Eagle makes a stock type. HTH Gene

Thanks for the info. I'll talk to the engine guy about it. I'm bringing it down on Sunday.

Jim

All above advice is true. CAT (crank supplier) is in Chapter 13? Last time I checked. Eagle makes a stock type. HTH Gene

Eagle is finished with Buick cranks and has none in stock. They never did a stroker Buick crank.

The last batch of Eagle cranks were machined for us in stock [external balance configuration], and we will only sell them with a complete engine build. Same is true of our last Buick stroker crank.

Dan at DLS has, or soon will have, stroker cranks, and it is "rumored" another vendor is working to supply them also.

So it sounds like even if I did go the stroker route there's nowhere to get the parts anyway? At least until DLS has the parts back in stock?

I searched on CAT and came across a site that lists their stroker cranks but I don't know if they actually have any. I don't want to wait until July to put my car back together so I may scrap the idea.

Jim

Very few cranks out there...i finally got mine today and have been looking for a while...you better get after it;)

I know some of you guys may not want to hear this, but GN1 Performance has them listed too. Here's the info posted on their site:

"The stroker kit you guys have been waitin for. This kit comes with a 3.625 stroke cat crank, skat 5.970 h beam rods, and diamond pistons. This kit has the extra edge for mid range and top end due to the advange of our 5.970 rods verses the standard 5.960 rods most other kits use.
Gn1performance has the exclusive to this kit."

I was told Weber has had stoker kits for a few years now......

That's the vendor I was referring to that had the CATs (at least according to their web site). They don't have kits, but they have the cranks, rods and pistons listed separately.

Full throttle only lists stroker pistons anymore - no crankshafts.

I don't know. It was just one of those things that I thought I might do since I had the engine out. I can easily reach my goals without it. It's starting to sound like a lot of hassle.

Jim

You'll end up changing rods, pistons, balancer, flexplate and having your block "notched" to accomodate the new rotating asembly. May as well also go to a roller cam set up while your at it if you haven't already. (I did) Port the hell out of everything and then.......HOLD ON!!!!!!! :D

Oh, and strenthen that bottom end while you're at it with new mains and/or a girdle!

I already have billet mains but was going to go with a girdle this time around. I already need a crank and at least 2 pistons due to the damage that was done to the motor. Roller cam was already part of the quote as well as the porting. So I'm thinking that I'd be more than half way to a stroker anyway.

Jim

THats the way things went for ME. Started totalling up what it was going to take to put things back stock, vs stepping up to a stroker, and it just made good sense to me. Good luck and have fun!

TA Performance has a stroker kit listed in their catalog, but it's like $4600!:eek: The crank alone is a billet steel unit that lists for $2600.

They also list a stroker crank only for $545...it's probably an Eagle or Cat piece, you could always call and ask.