strange sound and smell from engine bay

gordsgn

i am having an interesting problem with my 86 GN. a couple days ago my car started making a 'humming' noise at idle and it is most significant when shifting into gear. i can feel it sometimes too, through my left foot when it is resting near the firewall. the noise lasted for a day, then went away, but now it is back. there is also a very noticeable smell when i lift the hood (funny enough it smells like roasted marshmallows, seriously). the noise is definitely coming from the front of the engine. my initial thoughts are that it is coming from the pulleys/belt somewhere. there has not been any noticeable difference to drivability so it has been somewhat puzzling to me.

any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i am worried that this could end up causing a failure and leave me stranded somewhere.

Thanks

How about Tranny pump going out and the smell of burning transmission fluid.

That's all I got.

thanks for the replies

thinking that it may be a pulley makes sense to me but im not sure how to check which one it is, other than taking off the belt that is. i will check that alternator thing too. hopefully it is not a tranny thing, i dont want to have to deal with that right now!

It sounds like youre alternator might be about to take a puke. The sound you are describing sounds like a bad diode in the alternator.