strange engineering s60

bobs84ttype

I have been shopping around for a new rear end and they sell the S60 for g body cars. has anyone used this ?

You might look at a 12 bolt instead. It will fit more like the stock 8.5 than the DANA will and weighs less. Several board members are using them so if you want to see how they work PM AlkyV6 (Donnie) since I know he's using one.;)

Rob are launching off the trans brake in your car? You're still running and 8.5 right. Is it a 30 spline eaton?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'd look at a 9inch or one of the copies setup for a gbody before I'd look at a GIANT 60.
What is wrong with the 8.5? Quite stout when beefed up a bit.

Exactly the 8.5 when built correctly will handle plenty of power and use less power loss through it. Plus a 9" is heavier. Unless you use an aluminum center section then they are compatible in weight. I know I can pick up my 9" with strange aluminum center section with 12" wilwood brakes and place it on saw horses by myself with no problems. The down side of an aluminum center section is supposedly shorter gear life on the street I believe since it's not a structurally strong as the nodular center allowing alil flex.
Honestly unless you have a low 9 sec car or a heavy car launching off the trans brake a lot the 8.5 is fine. Plenty of people running them into the 8s.

My stock rearend has rust damage and not a posi. axle tubes have deep rust pitting, the spring perches are about rusted away and control arm mounts have some rust damage I am not sure it would be worth rebuilding. I have not had much luck in finding a stock replacement nearby. while the rest of the car did well with undercoating the rearend took the hit of the weather before I got it. Replacement would be least expensive.

You can get the tubes replaced by any competent shop that does rear ends. There's one in Fort Worth that I've used before just for this.;) You can even get them to change the outer flange to a more conventional one (square flange) so you can go with bigger brakes off something else.:cool:

I am still running the 8.5 with an Eaton posi and 30 spline axles. I launch off the footbrake because I know the limits of the 8.5 ring gear. This rear end has been running mid 9's to high 8's for almost 10 years.

Jim Morrison jr here in CT has gone at least 8.60 in the mid 150's mph with his 8.5 I think jack cotton has been 8.20 in the 160's with his 8.5 these are 2 I know of

The 8.5 stock ring and pinion is a roll of the dice. Some can run repeated 8 second passes with good hook and some can't. If it breaks you will likely over rev your engine and potentially do a lot more damage. It's worth selling it and taking the money to aquifer something better if you plan on doing a lot of racing.

Strange S60 here.
The TTA is known for weak rears and I grenaded mine on the street. Searched for a "cheap rear" and found the S60. 1.5 60's without any howling or any weird stuff. It is heavier, but more efficient than a 9''. Read up on it.

I have been shopping around for a new rear end and they sell the S60 for g body cars. has anyone used this ?

Yes, me! :) I have the Strange Dana "S60" under my GN and it looks and fits just great, and I couldn't be happier with it, plus it gives me some peace of mind knowing that I'll probably never break an axle (35 spline) when leaving under high boost. Also,I don't think that the weight difference (8.5 10 bolt vs. Dana 60) matters much...

Claude. :)
DSCN2160.JPG

Claude , why did you not go with a 9"? Just out of curiosity. And how much weight difference do you think there is between the s60 and a 8.5? I know the 9" that came out of Eric's car (which I ended up buying and is going back in the car )is not much if any heavier than the 8.5 I have in right now. Granted the 9" has an aluminum center section which helps things no dought. Just wondering anyways. Joel

Claude , why did you not go with a 9"? Just out of curiosity. And how much weight difference do you think there is between the s60 and a 8.5? I know the 9" that came out of Eric's car (which I ended up buying and is going back in the car )is not much if any heavier than the 8.5 I have in right now. Granted the 9" has an aluminum center section which helps things no dought. Just wondering anyways. Joel

Joel, I bought the Dana following Jack's recommendations. Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to weigh both units to compare them. I don't know if this is true, but even if the Dana weighs more than the Ford 9", it supposedly takes less power to "turn" it…Dunno if this is true though...

Claude. ;)