Storing car over winter, anything special I have to do with the alky pump?

TheGovernment

Just like the title says. My car is getting put away for winter and I want to know what I should do with the pump or do I do anything. It's in Canada and the winters here will be -30c for sure. Just don't want any damage to the unit.

thanks

Just like the title says. My car is getting put away for winter and I want to know what I should do with the pump or do I do anything. It's in Canada and the winters here will be -30c for sure. Just don't want any damage to the unit.

thanks
You can drain kit using the test button and unhook the hose from nozzle. Then use washer fluid rated to the storage temp and run some through the pump to wash out the concentration

or u could have filled it up with straight meth hydrate, but its nice to be able to get -50 and -80 washer fluid cheap. u know what's even cheaper and has different labels and is kept in different isle at the store.....plumbing antifreeze rated to same temp. $2 a gallon.

If I am using 100% methanol, can I just simply fill the tank and store the car for the winter?

I think there is a double edge sword on this stuff.

First, the pumps diaphram and seal should last pretty much forever on straight water. As its the least aggressive of chemicals. Once you introduce any harsh chemical, that time will get shorter as to its life expectancy. Think of it like acid. Straight methanol is more aggressive as a chemical than water is. So it is harsher on the rubber parts within the pump. That being said, if the pump is subjected to a lesser harsh chemical, it should last longer. The theory is if a pump lets say lasts 5 years in a harsh chemical... And now you let it sit 6 months in a harsh chemical and 6 months in a non-harsh chemical, that "should" extend its life.

Here's the double edge sword.. words "should" and "will" are two different animals. As there is no data except what is thought as to real world results. The other flip of the coin is that who is to say changing chemicals from alcohol to water/alcohol wont create a reaction/problem.

Somethings I do know for sure. Methanol will pickup moisture. And methanol that has picked up moisture(turns brown and coagulates) is real aggressive on the pump. So to have methanol sit in the pump for 6 months without movement through the pump is more than likely a recipe for a problem sooner than latter. This goes with every fluid in the car.. cars that sit, all the fluids go bad. Hence the reasoning of draining and refilling kit with a less aggressive chemical.. like water mixed with alcohol if storage will put it below freezing. If its in a climate controlled facility. straight water.

Or do nothing and every spring watch the pump to see if there is any sign of issue like a leak. Then address it. My own car now resides on top of a trailer. Gets used a few times a month. But I try to start engine every once in a while, and worse case use the test button to move liquid through the system so that its not sitting.

As of Oct 2011.. this seems like the best scenario as to storage. Hope this helps.

I think there is a double edge sword on this stuff.

First, the pumps diaphram and seal should last pretty much forever on straight water. As its the least aggressive of chemicals. Once you introduce any harsh chemical, that time will get shorter as to its life expectancy. Think of it like acid. Straight methanol is more aggressive as a chemical than water is. So it is harsher on the rubber parts within the pump. That being said, if the pump is subjected to a lesser harsh chemical, it should last longer. The theory is if a pump lets say lasts 5 years in a harsh chemical... And now you let it sit 6 months in a harsh chemical and 6 months in a non-harsh chemical, that "should" extend its life.

Here's the double edge sword.. words "should" and "will" are two different animals. As there is no data except what is thought as to real world results. The other flip of the coin is that who is to say changing chemicals from alcohol to water/alcohol wont create a reaction/problem.

Somethings I do know for sure. Methanol will pickup moisture. And methanol that has picked up moisture(turns brown and coagulates) is real aggressive on the pump. So to have methanol sit in the pump for 6 months without movement through the pump is more than likely a recipe for a problem sooner than latter. This goes with every fluid in the car.. cars that sit, all the fluids go bad. Hence the reasoning of draining and refilling kit with a less aggressive chemical.. like water mixed with alcohol if storage will put it below freezing. If its in a climate controlled facility. straight water.

Or do nothing and every spring watch the pump to see if there is any sign of issue like a leak. Then address it. My own car now resides on top of a trailer. Gets used a few times a month. But I try to start engine every once in a while, and worse case use the test button to move liquid through the system so that its not sitting.

As of Oct 2011.. this seems like the best scenario as to storage. Hope this helps.

What is the freezing point of straight methanol?

Very easy to drain the system using the test button. Drained then added RV antifreeze to the tank. Used the test pump button until it came out of the nozzle hose pink. Only used -+ 1 cup. Ready for a winter nap....

If the system is filled with straight meth and you just empty it all out using the test button - is there really any need to fill it back up with anything?

If the system is filled with straight meth and you just empty it all out using the test button - is there really any need to fill it back up with anything?
Yes, the reason to drain is to help the pump. The pump will stay wet with methanol this is why running a less concentrated liquid will wash it out.
Just hitting the test button will leave 100% inside the pump

I have drained my system via the method described, and flushed the system with water until there was nearly nothing pumping out of the hose.
Is there a need to keep something in the system, or can it sit dry during the winter months?
Many thanks
Jim

I have drained my system via the method described, and flushed the system with water until there was nearly nothing pumping out of the hose.
Is there a need to keep something in the system, or can it sit dry during the winter months?
Many thanks
Jim
Jim
See even tho nothing pumps out there still is fluid in the pump. The only way to have a dry pump is to dis-assemble it. Just like a transmission. You can remove the pan but there is fluid everywhere.

If storage puts the car below freezing run some water mixed with methanol so it can't freeze

what is the freezing temp of regular blue washer fluid? My bottle doesn't say but it says it contains methanol.

what is the freezing temp of regular blue washer fluid? My bottle doesn't say but it says it contains methanol.

I would just buy a jug that had the temperature rating on it. The higher the concentration.. the lower its freezing temp.

If it doesnt list it.. then it must not be much.

I have been storing the Razor kit for the winter for about 7 years now.

I store it with pure meth, for the 6 months its stored and I've never seen any issues. (More than my own cars, there are 5 others doing this also)

However, in spring I always Pump the Meth I stored with and throw it away, I find the meth gathers water and is
kinda stale. I was getting detonation until I refilled. could have also been the fuel getting stale also.

Here is why I wont use washer fluid, Most blends are rated for -40 c so the methanol content is probably around 40%
if you get any heat at all in the system there is a good chance you could lose some meth through evaporation, In our climate we see it all the time where the washers freeze up due to not using them to keep the fluid in the lines fresh. the heat boils the Methanol at a very low temp.
If you are storing with washer fluid, try not to get it hot.

For extended storage 1 year plus, I removed my pump and flushed and dried it out. and stored it on the shelf.
I'll let you know how that works out...lol